Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Dan Check <da...@jloreview.com> on 2003/04/22 00:38:51 UTC

fo:external-graphic image resolution

Hi,

I've been having some trouble displaying fo:external-graphic jpgs with
resolutions higher than 72 dpi.  The documentation seems to indicate
that FOP doesn't currently support resolutions higher than 72 dpi.  Has
anyone found a way around this limitation?  I'd happily hack my version
even if it meant losing all other image functionality, if it would mean
I could place images at a resolution higher than 72 dpi.  Has this been
successfully attempted?  If not, is there a thread somewhere describing
the difficultly of doing so?

Thanks,
Dan

RE: fo:external-graphic image resolution

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Victor Mote wrote:

> I'll add some doc about this on the "Graphic Formats" menu item (I'm going
> to change the name of the document first) & create an FAQ x-ref.

OK, this should get published in about 2 hours at the following URL:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html#resolution

Victor Mote

RE: fo:external-graphic image resolution

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Dan Check wrote:
> I've been having some trouble displaying fo:external-graphic jpgs with
> resolutions higher than 72 dpi.  The documentation seems to indicate
> that FOP doesn't currently support resolutions higher than 72 dpi.

This is not quite correct. FOP ignores any DPI specification possibly
stored in the image file and uses the default value of 72dpi *if* there
are no other restrictions.

PDF and most other target formats don't really have a concept of
"resolution". Instead, they work with real length units.

You can specify the width and heigth of your image in real units like
cm or in on the fo:external-graphic element. If you define only one of
width or height, the aspect is kept, otherwise the image may be stretched.
If your image is, let's say, 1800x1200 pixel, and you want a resolution
of 600dpi, this computes to width="3in" and height="2in"

Victor: this seems to crop up every now and them, do you know offhand
where this would fit into the FAQ/other docs if not already there?

HTH
J.Pietschmann