Posted to users@maven.apache.org by K J <go...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/11 02:17:45 UTC

Problem with Maven deploy (Error writing to server)

I have a very strange problem when I try to deploy artifacts. For
certain artifacts, the deployment fails with the message 'Error
deploying artifact: Error transferring file...Error writing to server'
(I included the stacktrace below). It appears to be related to the
size of the artifact, but here's the kicker -- the size restriction
isn't consistent acrosss artifact types. I can deploy an 11M WAR, but
can't deploy a 30M WAR. I can deploy a 96K JAR, but can't deploy a
128K JAR. (Sorry for the broad size range, I haven't had enough time
to narrow it down further).

I don't know if it's related, but I also noticed an oddity when I was
trying to narrow down the 'breaking point' for the size. I set up a
test project which deploys a jar and added images as resources to
build up the size. After passing the size threshold (which caused the
deploy to fail), I would remove the newest image and try to rebuild,
but now the deploy would fail with a 'connection reset' or 'connection
reset by peer: socket write error' message. Without making any
changes, I rerun 'mvn clean deploy' or 'mvn deploy. Most of the time
everything deploys fine; although sometimes it takes two tries before
it succeeds.  For clarity, I outlined those steps below:

1.) Add image. Build and deploy fine. Size 96K.
2.) Add another image. Build fine, deploy breaks: Error writing to
server. Size 128K.
3.) Remove last image. Build fine, deploy breaks: Connection reset. Size 96K.
4.) No changes. Build and deploy fine. Size 96K.

 Some additional information:
* I experience this problem using both Maven 2.0.9 and 2.2.1.
* Our repository is managed by Nexus (deployed to Tomcat with SSL from
apache). Nexus might be part of the problem, but I've checked some of
the logs, but I can't find any indication of errors on that side of
things.
* Our network uses a socks proxy (v5).

Lastly, here is the stack trace (and a bit of the Maven output):

[DEBUG] Configuring mojo
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.4:deploy' -->
[DEBUG]   (f) artifact = com.cdmtech.icodes.ciw:test:jar:0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[DEBUG]   (f) attachedArtifacts = []
[DEBUG]   (f) deploymentRepository =
Repository[snapshots|https://hudson149/nexus/content/repositories/snapshots]
[DEBUG]   (s) localRepository = Repository[local|file://C:\Documents
and Settings\kj\.m2\repository]
[DEBUG]   (f) packaging = jar
[DEBUG]   (f) pomFile =
C:\eclipse\eclipse-workspaces\eclipse-jee-ganymede-3.4.2\m2eclipse\ciw\test\pom.xml
[DEBUG]   (f) skip = false
[DEBUG]   (f) updateReleaseInfo = false
[DEBUG] -- end configuration --
[INFO] [deploy:deploy {execution: default-deploy}]
[INFO] Retrieving previous build number from snapshots
[DEBUG] Using Wagon implementation lightweight from default mapping
for protocol https
[DEBUG] Checking for pre-existing User-Agent configuration.
[DEBUG] Adding User-Agent configuration.
[DEBUG] Connecting to repository: 'snapshots' with url:
'https://hudson149/nexus/content/repositories/snapshots'.
[DEBUG] Using Wagon implementation lightweight from default mapping
for protocol https
[DEBUG] Using Wagon implementation lightweight from default mapping
for protocol https
[DEBUG] Checking for pre-existing User-Agent configuration.
[DEBUG] Adding User-Agent configuration.
[DEBUG] not adding permissions to wagon connection
Uploading: https://hudson149/nexus/content/repositories/snapshots/ciw/test/0.0.1-SNAPSHOT/test-0.0.1-20091210.183044-14.jar
4/128K
128/128K
[DEBUG] Error writing to server
java.io.IOException: Error writing to server
       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.writeRequests(HttpURLConnection.java:438)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.writeRequests(HttpURLConnection.java:450)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1002)
       at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:373)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.getResponseCode(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:318)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.finishPutTransfer(LightweightHttpWagon.java:185)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.AbstractWagon.putTransfer(AbstractWagon.java:413)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.AbstractWagon.transfer(AbstractWagon.java:392)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.AbstractWagon.putTransfer(AbstractWagon.java:365)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.StreamWagon.put(StreamWagon.java:163)
       at org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.putRemoteFile(DefaultWagonManager.java:317)
       at org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.putArtifact(DefaultWagonManager.java:227)
       at org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer.DefaultArtifactDeployer.deploy(DefaultArtifactDeployer.java:107)
       at org.apache.maven.plugin.deploy.DeployMojo.execute(DeployMojo.java:173)
       at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:490)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:694)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:556)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:535)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:387)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:348)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:180)
       at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:328)
       at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:138)
       at org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:60)
[DEBUG] Using Wagon implementation lightweight from default mapping
for protocol https
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Error deploying artifact: Error transferring file

Error writing to server
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Error
deploying artifact: Error transferring file
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:719)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:556)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:535)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:387)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:348)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:180)
       at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:328)
       at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:138)
       at org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:60)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Error
deploying artifact: Error transferring file
       at org.apache.maven.plugin.deploy.DeployMojo.execute(DeployMojo.java:195)
       at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:490)
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:694)
       ... 17 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer.ArtifactDeploymentException:
Error deploying artifact: Error transferring file
       at org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer.DefaultArtifactDeployer.deploy(DefaultArtifactDeployer.java:121)
       at org.apache.maven.plugin.deploy.DeployMojo.execute(DeployMojo.java:173)
       ... 19 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.wagon.TransferFailedException: Error
transferring file
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.finishPutTransfer(LightweightHttpWagon.java:213)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.AbstractWagon.putTransfer(AbstractWagon.java:413)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.AbstractWagon.transfer(AbstractWagon.java:392)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.AbstractWagon.putTransfer(AbstractWagon.java:365)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.StreamWagon.put(StreamWagon.java:163)
       at org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.putRemoteFile(DefaultWagonManager.java:317)
       at org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.putArtifact(DefaultWagonManager.java:227)
       at org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer.DefaultArtifactDeployer.deploy(DefaultArtifactDeployer.java:107)
       ... 20 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Error writing to server
       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.writeRequests(HttpURLConnection.java:438)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.writeRequests(HttpURLConnection.java:450)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1002)
       at java.net.HttpURLConnection.getResponseCode(HttpURLConnection.java:373)
       at sun.net.www.protocol.https.HttpsURLConnectionImpl.getResponseCode(HttpsURLConnectionImpl.java:318)
       at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.finishPutTransfer(LightweightHttpWagon.java:185)

If anyone has any idea what might be causing the problem, or how to go
about fixing it, I would greatly appreciate the help. Let me know if
you need more information. Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem with Maven deploy (Error writing to server)

Posted by K J <go...@gmail.com>.
Just an additional note...this fix works for Maven 2.2.1. Not sure
whether there is a way to make it work for older versions of Maven.

Posted by K J <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brendan Sibre <bt...@gmail.com>.