Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com> on 2003/04/23 14:05:20 UTC

RE: Resolving DTDs Locally: TILES: external entity not found -- L ocal Definitions

I suspect the key is to have the "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD
Tiles Configuration 1.1//EN" part match what Struts/Tiles registers with
Digester internally. With Digester, you can register a local version of
a DTD keyed to the "-//Apache..." part of the DOCTYPE tag. If your xml
document doesn't exactly match what was registered, Digester will try
the URI-looking part to go look up the DTD from the internet.

The DOCTYPE tag that Wendy posted should work -- it matches the
registrations in the XmlParser.java file from the Struts distribution.
Look out for extra spaces, slashes, version number differences, etc. --
anything that would cause a simple string comparison match to fail. If
that isn't it, it might be some kind of classpath issue, since the code
uses this.getClass().getResource() to access the local DTD.

-Max

--
Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>

RE: Resolving DTDs Locally: TILES: external entity not found --Local Definitions

Posted by Kola Oyedeji <ko...@iclployalty.com>.
Looks like something I could use in the near future,

Thanks guys

Kola

If

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.net>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Max Cooper wrote:

> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:51:58 -0700
> From: Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>
> Subject: Re: Resolving DTDs Locally: TILES: external entity not found
>     --Local Definitions
>
> The "Digester" project team has created an easy-to-use XML parser. If you
> ever find that you need to process an XML config file for a project,
> Digester is definitely worth a look.

More specifically, check out the API javadocs available via:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/digester/

for more information about Digester.  For some pretty intricate use cases,
you can take a look at how Tomcat uses Digester for parsing server.xml and
web.xml files, and Struts uses it for struts-config.xml files.

> -Max

Craig

Posted by Kola Oyedeji <ko...@iclployalty.com>.
Thanks

[OT] THANKS! RE: Resolving DTDs Locally: TILES: external entity not found -- L ocal Definitions

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
That was it, Max.  I was using an outdated struts-tiles DTD
reference.  Thanks again.  Yours worked fine, Wendy.  Thanks to you as
well.  Micael

At 05:05 AM 4/23/03 -0700, you wrote:
>I suspect the key is to have the "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD
>Tiles Configuration 1.1//EN" part match what Struts/Tiles registers with
>Digester internally. With Digester, you can register a local version of
>a DTD keyed to the "-//Apache..." part of the DOCTYPE tag. If your xml
>document doesn't exactly match what was registered, Digester will try
>the URI-looking part to go look up the DTD from the internet.
>
>The DOCTYPE tag that Wendy posted should work -- it matches the
>registrations in the XmlParser.java file from the Struts distribution.
>Look out for extra spaces, slashes, version number differences, etc. --
>anything that would cause a simple string comparison match to fail. If
>that isn't it, it might be some kind of classpath issue, since the code
>uses this.getClass().getResource() to access the local DTD.
>
>-Max
>
>On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 15:39, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> > Micael wrote:
> > > I frequently get the following error when starting up with struts:
> > > javax.servlet.ServletException: Error while parsing file
> > > '/WEB-INF/conf/tiles-defs.xml'. External entity not found:
> > > "http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/tiles-config.dtd".
> >
> > I have this at the top of tiles-defs.xml:
> >  <!DOCTYPE tiles-definitions PUBLIC
> >        "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Tiles Configuration 1.1//EN"
> >        "http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/tiles-config_1_1.dtd">
> >
> > I'm reliably informed by Craig that although this looks like a URL, it's
> > really just a unique URI, and the dtd will be found locally within the
> > struts.jar file.
> >
> > So (assuming Servlet 2.3) you do not need to list dtd's in your web.xml
> file
> > or put them "loose" underneath WEB-INF.  One less thing to keep track of!
>--
>Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>

LEGAL NOTICE

you