Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Scott Stirling <sc...@rcn.com> on 2003/06/05 02:06:54 UTC

properties in a dependency

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gabriel Bauman [mailto:gabe@bravenet.com]
[snip]
> My deps look like this:
>
> <dependency>
>        <groupId>torque</groupId>
>        <artifactId>torque</artifactId>
>        <version>SNAPSHOT</version>
>        <url>http://db.apache.org/torque/</url>
>        <properties>
>          <war.bundle.jar>true</war.bundle.jar>
>        </properties>
> </dependency>

Hi,

How did you know you could nest a <properties> element under a <dependency>?
And what does that do?

Thanks,

Scott Stirling
Framingham, MA

RE: properties in a dependency

Posted by Scott Stirling <sc...@rcn.com>.

Thank you!!  I downloaded the source tonight and began to look at it and,
just as interesting, the layout of it in CVS.  Thanks for the pointers.
This is really helpful.

> The XML in project.xml mostly just provides values for bean
> properties of an instance of org.apache.maven.project.Project.  See
> <http://maven.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/maven/project/Project.html>.
> If you track that down to a Dependency object, you see that it
> extends org.apache.maven.project.BaseObject, and those have a
> Properties object.
> http://maven.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/maven/project/BaseObject.html

Great stuff! Thanks again.  I will "use the source" as they say.

> I'm not sure how you'd know ahead of time that you can do what the
> War plugin does, but now that you've seen it...  well, that's kind of
> how open source projects work, I guess.
>
> Joe

Yep, pretty funny.  Thanks, Joe.

Now I feel like I need some time to dig in the source, read the Javadoc, and
flip through some of the user list archives.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
The docs for the War plugin explain that this is the way to indicate
that a dependency is copied into the webapp or war.  See
<http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/war/properties.html>

The XML in project.xml mostly just provides values for bean
properties of an instance of org.apache.maven.project.Project.  See
<http://maven.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/maven/project/Project.html>.
If you track that down to a Dependency object, you see that it
extends org.apache.maven.project.BaseObject, and those have a
Properties object.
http://maven.apache.org/apidocs/org/apache/maven/project/BaseObject.html

You can see how the war plugin uses the "war.bundle.jar" property of
a dependency by looking at
$MAVEN_HOME/plugins/maven-war-plugin-#.#/plugin.jelly (where #.# is a
version number).

At 20:06 -0400 6/4/03, Scott Stirling wrote:
> [...]

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
	--Jaron Lanier