Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2021/05/13 06:26:34 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Apache Hadoop Ozone 1.1.0 RC2

Hi,

Please excuse me commenting on this release as I'm not part of your project or know it entire history, but I noticed a couple of things that might help in future releases.

It's best to put releases at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/

> The public key used for signing the artifacts can be found at.

The signing key could be added to the KEY file.

> *The vote will run for 6 days, ending on April 14th 2021 at 11:59 pm PST.*

Vote threads are generally recommenced to last a minimum of 72 hours or as long as needed. What if you didn't get 3 +1 votes in 6 days?

While it may not matter in our lifetime, copyright can expire so it would be best to put the published year in the NOTICE file rather than "Copyright 2006 and onwards".

I notice a number of dependancies are licensed under " BSD License or the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2.", when something is dual licensed you can pick the most favourable one. Currently it's a little hard to determine if this code may contain anything with a Category X license because of the inclusion to the GPL license text.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Apache Hadoop Ozone 1.1.0 RC2

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.
Thank you very much the feedback Justin:

> It's best to put releases at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/

I updated the release guidelines [1] with the instruction to use this
SVN space.

>> The public key used for signing the artifacts can be found at.
>
> The signing key could be added to the KEY file.

We added the public key to the KEY file:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/ozone/KEYS

But this fact was not shared in the mail.

I updated the same wiki page with more instructions to add the KEYS file
and asking to share the url of the KEYS file in the vote mail.

> While it may not matter in our lifetime, copyright can expire so it would be best to put the published year in the NOTICE file rather than "Copyright 2006 and onwards".

I think we inherited it from Hadoop.

I created HDDS-5229 to track this, and also created the first PR.

Can you please confirm that it's enough to include the last/current year
(eg. 2021 instead of 2019-2021)

I also "noticed" that NOTICE files are missing from some of the
technical repositories (ozone-docker, ozone-docker-runner,...). We don't
release those repos, but with the same effort I will include default
NOTICE everywhere

> I notice a number of dependancies are licensed under " BSD License or the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2.", when something is dual licensed you can pick the most favourable one. Currently it's a little hard to determine if this code may contain anything with a Category X license because of the inclusion to the GPL license text.

Here I created HDDS-5230 to track the issue.

I didn't create the PR yet, but set it to blocker for the next release.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Marton