Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/25 15:47:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Order of checks

We have two apache webservers running release 2.0.57
On one of them, if we ask for a non-existent script from a protected
directory we get the 404 Not Found response without a prompt for username
and password.
On the other one, we get prompted for username and password and when we get
those right we get the 404 Not Found response.

The behaviour of the first server seems wrong, but why is it checking for
"Not Found" before "Not Authorised"?

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] Order of checks

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/25/06, Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have two apache webservers running release 2.0.57
> On one of them, if we ask for a non-existent script from a protected
> directory we get the 404 Not Found response without a prompt for username
> and password.
> On the other one, we get prompted for username and password and when we get
> those right we get the 404 Not Found response.
>
> The behaviour of the first server seems wrong, but why is it checking for
> "Not Found" before "Not Authorised"?

Because you configured them differently.  But without any details...

Joshua.