Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by shivashankar manukondu <si...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/12 13:13:26 UTC

rotate catalina.out

Hi,

Do we have any default catalina.out
<https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Logging#Q10> rotation in the tomcat8
without using any external tool like Log4J or logrotate.

Also should not be loss any logs while rotating.

--

Regards
Manu

Re: rotate catalina.out

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 13.04.2017 um 14:57 schrieb shivashankar manukondu:
> Is there any possibility loss the log information in case if we use any
> external tools like Log4j, logrotete....

I suggest you make the adjustment to your conf/logging.properties that I
mentioned. You should also make sure, that no application log
configuration uses a stdout, console etc. appender. As a result, your
catalina.out will no longer receive log messages, only if a developer
decided to directly write to STDOUT instead of using a log framework.

Log4j is no external tool. logrotate and similar are and yes, depending
on details there is sometimes a risk of using log information due to
external rotation.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: rotate catalina.out

Posted by shivashankar manukondu <si...@gmail.com>.
Is there any possibility loss the log information in case if we use any
external tools like Log4j, logrotete....

Regards,
Siva

wrote:

> Am 12.04.2017 um 16:15 schrieb Mark Thomas:
>
>> On 12/04/17 14:13, shivashankar manukondu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do we have any default catalina.out
>>> <https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Logging#Q10> rotation in the tomcat8
>>> without using any external tool like Log4J or logrotate.
>>>

>> No. But since catalina.out is only what is written to stdout is should
>> be mostly (ideally entirely) empty.
>>

> Aren't we currently still copying everything to STDOUT by default?
>
> In logging.properties:
>
> .handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler,
> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler
>
> So once people switch this to production style config
>
> .handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler
>
> your statement would apply.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Regards
Siva
#068860592040

Re: rotate catalina.out

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: rotate catalina.out

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/04/17 14:13, shivashankar manukondu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we have any default catalina.out
> <https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Logging#Q10> rotation in the tomcat8
> without using any external tool like Log4J or logrotate.

No. But since catalina.out is only what is written to stdout is should
be mostly (ideally entirely) empty.

Mark