Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by sv...@celticblues.com on 2006/08/04 18:58:16 UTC

Accessing a remote repository on a windows box from a linux box....

Where I work, we have a Windows machine which has a subversion repository on it.
 Others are accessing the repository using TortoiseSVN on their windows boxes.
I need to use this repository from a windos machine.  How can I do this?  I
know the IP address and machine name.  How do I specify that I want to use this
remote  repository instead of the local one I had/have set up on my linux box?

Ed

Re: Accessing a remote repository on a windows box from a linux box....

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 4, 2006, at 20:58, svnuser@celticblues.com wrote:

> Where I work, we have a Windows machine which has a subversion
> repository on it.
>  Others are accessing the repository using TortoiseSVN on their
> windows boxes.
> I need to use this repository from a windos machine.  How can I do
> this?  I
> know the IP address and machine name.  How do I specify that I want
> to use this
> remote  repository instead of the local one I had/have set up on my
> linux box?

Ask your system administrator what the URL of the repository is.
Examples:

https://svn.example.com/svn/repo/project/trunk

svn://svn.example.com/repo/project/trunk

There are other possibilities. Only the person who set up the
repository on your Windows server will know how they did it, so ask
them.

Detecting changes to create a build.

Posted by Anastasios Angelidis <vo...@videotron.ca>.
Say I have a web site which has about a dozen html files. Over the time
all files have been modified in some way. Now for my current project I
modiffy only 3 of these 12 files. When I create my build to deploy, I
only need those 3 files.

Can I actually write a script that automatically checks out those 3
files and creates a "package" by using svn commands? Would I be able to
detect these changes or would I have to remember what exact files where
changed and explicitly put those files in the build script? Say those
files where checked individually creating 3 new revisions.

Thanks

Re: Accessing a remote repository on a windows box from a linux box....

Posted by Kevin Grover <ko...@yahoo.com>.
The windows machine needs to be running svnserve or Apache, in which case you'd use something like

svn://machinename/path/to/repo

or

http://machinename/path/to/repo

What ever it is, if people on other Windows machines can access it with TortoiseSVN, you should be able to use the same URL.  That's the beauty of the URLS --- they're (mostly) machine indipendent.

If the windows users are using a file:// URL, then you'll need to use smbfs (built into linux mount) to remote mount the file system and then tweak the URL to corrospond to the unix syntax.  This is not the best way and can even be very dangerous (if you use the bdb backend for the repository).  Modern version of svn use the fsfs backend, so it should pose no problems.

That is, get rid the drive specifier in the path (if they have it on a local mounted share).  If they're access the server by name, it will probably just work.  But, I have not tried this.  At work, I set up Apache and have no problems with users connected to it from linux boxes.