Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/09 21:39:04 UTC

March 2020 board report

Hi,

please find the board report below. Comments welcome.

Apache Felix is a project aimed at implementing specifications from the OSGi

Alliance as well as implementing other supporting tools and technologies

aligned with OSGi technology.

## Issues:

There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:

Apache Felix was founded 2007-03-28 (13 years ago)

There are currently 68 committers and 27 PMC members in this project.

The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 9:4.

Community changes, past quarter:

- No new PMC members. Last addition was Georg Henzler on 2019-06-10.

- Stefan Bischof was added as committer on 2020-03-02

## Project Activity:

- Existing implementations have been improved/enhanced based on community

 feedback.

- We did migrate from svn to git(box) and started reorganising around git

 repositories (including a rework of our website to reflect the changes).

- We are discussing breaking out some of our bigger subproject into additional

 git repositories.

- We accepted and integrated the "Atomos" contribution by Thomas Watson and

 attracted a new committer in the process (Stefan Bischof).

- Released 3 components (mostly bug fixes overall).

## Releases:

- org.apache.felix.configadmin.plugin.interpolation-1.1.0 was released on

 2020-03-02.

- maven-scr-plugin-1.26.2 was released on 2019-12-07.

- org.apache.felix.scr.bnd-1.9.6 was released on 2019-12-07.

- org.apache.felix.scr.bnd-1.9.4 was released on 2019-12-07.

## Community Health:

- Overall the project is in ok health.

- Questions on the user list are answered, development concerns are either

 discussed on the mailing list or directly in the JIRA issues.

- The project as well as the OSGi community in general is still in the process

 of adapting to JPMS and Graal/substrate - however, we hope that Atomos and

 the new OSGi Connect RFC will help in that area.

- We need to be on the lookout for new committers. Atomos and the move to github

 hopefully will help in attracting more people.

- We had no issues voting on releases and JIRA issues are generally addressed.

- dev@felix.apache.org had a 30% decrease in traffic in the past quarter

 (292 emails compared to 415)

- users@felix.apache.org had a 166% increase in traffic in the past quarter

 (8 emails compared to 3)

- 30 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (11% increase)

- 24 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (33% increase)

- 19 commits in the past quarter (-47% decrease)

- 4 code contributors in the past quarter (-42% decrease)

- 9 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (-30% decrease)

- 14 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (133% increase)

Re: March 2020 board report

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

thanks, good point. A big part of the decrease is just a symptom of us
not doing as many releases this quarter. I added a point for that
saying:

"We had relatively (for us) few releases this quarter. At least in parts, that
 accounts for some of the decrease in traffic on the dev list."

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls