Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Mark Fuqua <ma...@availdata.com> on 2012/11/14 16:19:39 UTC

Kick starter

I'm guessing several people will YELL AT ME for posting this.including
Jeffry Houser (please forgive the OT post), but there is a Apache Flex
related Kick Starter project, which I have backed, I think deserves some
consideration from everyone on the list.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reboog711/help-me-build-an-autocomplete-
for-apache-flex?ref=live

Please consider backing the project for the obvious reason (it would be a
nice addition to Flex), plus it would be nice to have an additional avenue
for folks like myself (not able, from a proficiency stand point, to donate
code) to be able to contribute to moving Apache Flex forward.  This might be
one way of monetizing Flex component development in a post Adobe world.

It would be nice if this first attempt were successful.

Mark

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>wrote:

> For backers; I'll be hosting routine sessions for the purpose of showing
> progress and soliciting feedback.

Just remember that if it doesn't happen on list then it didn't happen.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Rick Winscot <ri...@gmail.com>.
If you're concerned about this initiative... please re-read this line in the story.

"I am using this Kickstarter as a different approach to fund some of my own Apache Flex development time.  This will allow developers with limited free time to give a small amount of money to help Apache Flex." - Jeffrey Houser

And now my $.02...

It is ridiculous to think that Apache Flex will progress / flourish without new, recurring, continuous and significant contribution of people, time, and finances. Emphasis should be made on 'new', 'recurring', 'continuous' and 'significant.' I do not aim to cheapen efforts to date... only to identify that 'success' in software is more of a journey and not a destination.

That said, I think that it's great to see someone openly calling everyone at every level to come and support Apache Flex any way they can. My only request to Mr. Houser, is that he setup some kind of account or mechanism so that I can make a recurring contribution to sustain him and his work in Apache Flex.

Cheers,

Rick Winscot

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > true, but then I never intended my implementation to be the de facto
> standard and claimed that it would be donated to Apache Flex.

I actually agree with you Maxime. You can see from an autocomplete list [1]
that I created a while back that I went the same route. Simple, but does
what I need.

[1]
https://github.com/jonbcampos/UnitedMindsetFx4Library/blob/master/src/com/unitedmindset/components/AutocompleteList.as

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 11/14/2012 12:06 PM, Maxime Cowez wrote:

> I think it would be great if there were an AutoComplete component built
> into Flex, but I do have some reservations with this approach. The biggest
> issue from my point of view is that one company/person would decide what
> the basic implementation will be, possibly making it harder for us to add
> the things we need later on.

  Isn't all development like that, though?  How many people did you
converse with before you tried your own implementation?

> true, but then I never intended my implementation to be the de facto
standard and claimed that it would be donated to Apache Flex.
> Is open-source development not supposed to be more about putting our
ideas together? Or am I being too idealistic here?

For instance: for an AutoComplete component to be truly compatible with the
> existing Flex framework, I believe that its API should be as similar as
> possible to a List component (i.e. it must expose 'selectedItem',
> 'selectedItems', 'selectedIndices', etc. properties). If this kickstarter
> project decides to implement the component otherwise, it might be very hard
> to add this later on.

 The existing Flextras AutoComplete extends the Flex ComboBox; which
includes all those properties.  The new development will be an off-shoot of
the current Flextras AutoComplete.  Current ASDocs are here:
https://www.flextras.com/**AutoCompleteComboBox/docs/**
asdocsSpark/spark/flextras/**autoCompleteComboBox/**
AutoCompleteComboBoxLite.html<https://www.flextras.com/AutoCompleteComboBox/docs/asdocsSpark/spark/flextras/autoCompleteComboBox/AutoCompleteComboBoxLite.html>

> I might be wrong, but I don't think `selectedItems` will return all the
items that were selected using this AutoComplete, since this component does
not display a list of these selected items.
> Anyway I don't wish to discuss technicalities here; I was merely trying
to give an example of a decision that may have great impact down the road,
when the community takes over.

To me it feels a bit like going back to the days that Adobe decided on the
> basic implementation and we were allowed to give some feedback. I must
> admit that feeling comes from the fact that I've put in a lot of hours
> myself, and I may not have anything to say in this project, unless I
> donated some money to the kickstarter project. Somehow that doesn't feel
> right.

 So, how do you propose I do things differently?  Feel free to contact me
privately if you prefer.

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Most of the work I have been putting into Apache, I've been paid for.
 That's why both I and my employer signed the CCLA.  This was not
work-for-hire, rather it was the expectation that the work was donated to
Apache.  This is no different than what Jeffery is doing.

As far as setting up a standard....  well, that is up to the PMC.  We can
reject any implementation that we wish -- no different than any other work
or component that gets added in.  Additionally, any of us could "correct"
the component to the best of our abilities as soon as it gets donated.

I don't see anything wrong with this.  In fact, if any company came up to
me and said "write this component and donate it to Apache -- here is a sack
of money for you to do it" you bet your sweet ass I'm going to make the
component and donate it to Apache.  But then again, like many
entrepreneurs, I have no problem whoring myself out for money...

-Nick

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...I think people should be able to write some
> amount code without having to expose it to the list.  But if Jeffry wants to
> save the work in progress on his whiteboard as a backup, that would be one
> way to share...

IMO, evolving code here is a much better way to get the community
involved and to keep people informed.

Commit early, commit often.

-Bertrand

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 11/15/2012 4:23 AM, Maxime Cowez wrote:
> What I do not like about the way you're setting this up, is that initial
> development will happen behind closed doors (at least that's how I
> understand it). So here's a question: would you consider open-sourcing your
> development effort right from the start? Possibly by setting up a Github
> repo to make the code easily accessible. You would be in the lead, but the
> community would be able to contribute, not only by making suggestions in
> terms of functionality, but also in terms of code. Does that make sense to
> you?

  I've decided to hold a Connect Session this Wednesday, November 21st
at 1pm EST to show off the current code; and discuss.  ( Those
interested can join here: http://experts.na3.acrobat.com/flextras/ ).

  If the project is funded; I can donate right away to my Apache Flex
Whiteboard and continue development there w/ frequent submits.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/15/12 1:23 AM, "Maxime Cowez" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Jeffry Please don't get me wrong: I very much appreciate the fact that
> your approach is a pragmatic way to get things done quickly. I absolutely
> agree there should be less chatter and more coding. The issue is I don't
> have time to finish my own implementation and make it completely compliant
> with the framework and fully tested - unless I quit my job -, so there's no
> way I'll be able to pit it against yours as has been suggested. I also
> don't think it's a very productive approach to develop different
> implementations side-by-side and then decide which is "best". But I would
> like to be able to contribute my experience and ideas.
Maxime, you can also post whatever unfinished code you have somewhere as
inspiration for whoever is going to work with Jeffry.

> What I do not like about the way you're setting this up, is that initial
> development will happen behind closed doors (at least that's how I
> understand it). So here's a question: would you consider open-sourcing your
> development effort right from the start? Possibly by setting up a Github
> repo to make the code easily accessible. You would be in the lead, but the
> community would be able to contribute, not only by making suggestions in
> terms of functionality, but also in terms of code. Does that make sense to
> you?
I don't think that is required.  I think people should be able to write some

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [MENTORS] CCLAs and Software Grants for LLC's? (was Re: Kick starter)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...My mental model of the rules say that if a corporation owns a copyright, we
> need a CCLA covering the contributor and donations should have a software
> grant.  But what about LLCs?  Especially one-person LLCs?...

Whoever commits code does that under their
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt - paragraphs 4. and 5. apply
here.

The CCLA makes no difference to that, it's just something between a
company and their employees.

-Bertrand

Re: [MENTORS] CCLAs and Software Grants for LLC's? (was Re: Kick starter)

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 11/14/2012 2:17 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> Hi Mentors,
>
> My mental model of the rules say that if a corporation owns a copyright, we
> need a CCLA covering the contributor and
   DotComIt already has a CCLA filed with Apache.  It was filed the same
time I filed my Individual CLA.
  So the only remaining item is whether or not the software grant is
needed.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Mentors,

My mental model of the rules say that if a corporation owns a copyright, we
need a CCLA covering the contributor and donations should have a software
grant.  But what about LLCs?  Especially one-person LLCs?

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Kick starter

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Maxime Cowez <ma...@gmail.com>.
I think it would be great if there were an AutoComplete component built
into Flex, but I do have some reservations with this approach. The biggest
issue from my point of view is that one company/person would decide what
the basic implementation will be, possibly making it harder for us to add
the things we need later on.
I've put quite some hours in the development of my own Spark AutoComplete
component (https://github.com/RIAstar/AutoCompleteFx) because I couldn't
find any components that did what I needed them to do, so I know a little
about this topic too. It can be a complex component with tons of
possibilities.

For instance: for an AutoComplete component to be truly compatible with the
existing Flex framework, I believe that its API should be as similar as
possible to a List component (i.e. it must expose 'selectedItem',
'selectedItems', 'selectedIndices', etc. properties). If this kickstarter
project decides to implement the component otherwise, it might be very hard
to add this later on.

To me it feels a bit like going back to the days that Adobe decided on the
basic implementation and we were allowed to give some feedback. I must
admit that feeling comes from the fact that I've put in a lot of hours
myself, and I may not have anything to say in this project, unless I
donated some money to the kickstarter project. Somehow that doesn't feel
right.

Max

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 11/14/2012 11:43 AM, Alex Harui wrote:
> Any commit can be vetoed for technical or legal reasons, but otherwise I
> imagine it would be accepted.

  I guess that makes sense; I had not considered that.  I'd be surprised
if either of those reasons would come into play.
> I assume you did get ok's from Apache on the wording?  You were having to do
> quite a dance a while ago.

   The issue there was my request to make use of the Apache Flex logo on
a T-shirt.
   I haven't been formally approved or denied; and the current text /
video reflect that and make no mention of creating an Apache Flex T-shirt.
   The did say the 'current' T-shirt slogan is okay, which is "I gave
Apache Flex an AutoComplete"

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/14/12 8:38 AM, "Jeffry Houser" <je...@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

>   Thanks Mark for the plug.  I was just about to post my own announcement.
>
> On 11/14/2012 10:41 AM, Jonathan Campos wrote:
>> It just seemed like some of the wording was off.
>> There seemed to be an assumption in the text that whatever was developed
>> would be definitely accepted into the Apache Flex project.
>   I was very careful with the wording; but perhaps I failed.
>   There is no guarantee that it would be added to the base framework;
> but I don't see how the donation could be rejected.
Jeffry,

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
  Thanks Mark for the plug.  I was just about to post my own announcement.

On 11/14/2012 10:41 AM, Jonathan Campos wrote:
> It just seemed like some of the wording was off.
> There seemed to be an assumption in the text that whatever was developed
> would be definitely accepted into the Apache Flex project.
  I was very careful with the wording; but perhaps I failed.
  There is no guarantee that it would be added to the base framework;
but I don't see how the donation could be rejected.

> Furthermore it
> said that only the "finished" component would be added. What constitutes
> finished?
  The text of the Kickstarter provides a list of explicit features that
will be implemented; and those features are the base line that
constitute finished.

> There didn't seem to be that interest in feedback and open development.

  It was not my intent to give that impression.  For backers; I'll be hosting routine sessions for the purpose of showing progress and soliciting feedback.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Mark Fuqua <ma...@availdata.com> wrote:

> It would be nice if this first attempt were successful.

I did see the post yesterday and have kept my mouth shut because I did see
an issue with it. Not with the idea, if you want to raise money to fund
development that is great. It just seemed like some of the wording was off.
There seemed to be an assumption in the text that whatever was developed
would be definitely accepted into the Apache Flex project. Furthermore it
said that only the "finished" component would be added. What constitutes
finished? It didn't seem like a very "open source" minded approach.

There didn't seem to be that interest in feedback and open development.
That is what bothered me and why I have yet to back this project.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Kick starter

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 11/14/12 10 :19AM, "Mark Fuqua" <ma...@availdata.com> wrote:

>I'm guessing several people will YELL AT ME for posting this.including
>Jeffry Houser (please forgive the OT post), but there is a Apache Flex

I'm not going to YELL but I think you already know this isn't the
appropriate place to post what is essentially an ad.

Carol