Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Charles Tassoni <ch...@hotmail.com> on 2003/12/22 16:49:43 UTC

chicken and egg

      I've got a chicken-and-egg problem.  I need to declare the jars
created by my project inside project.xml-- otherwise I couldn't use maven to
distribute them to the necessary ears, wars, etc.  And that means that when
I build maven will load earlier versions of my jars into the repository, and
that maven will include those jars in the classpath during compilation of my
project.
     Sounds innocous, but now I'm building new jars based on outdated
versions of those very same jars.  And it can happen that an incosistency
between my project's jars in the repository and my current source can cause
compilation to fail.  For example, sometime after my last build I moved one
particular class into a different package.  Then, when it came time for the
next production build, the now outdated project jars in the repository
became part of the classpath, and compilation failed because the compiler
still expected my class to be in the old package.
     This must be a fairly general problem.  Does anyone know what the
solution is?

multiproject super-jar question

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.
Hello.
I started messing about with multiproject yesterday and so far it works
great.  I have my "company-commons" project and then underneath it I
have "utils", "strings", "validation".  And when I run multiproject:install
it builds all my jars - even with some of the sources being dependent
on other subprojects.  Amazing stuff, congrats to those who contributed!

Now for my question...  Has anyone created a goal for combining all the
subproject jar files into one larger jar?  I want to create
"company-commons.jar" and in include all the subproject class files.

I am thinking that I could create a goal in my maven.xml that looks into
each subprojects target folder and grabs all the classes, but I thought
I'd ask to see if anyone else has done something similar.

Thanks for the help.

Charlie

Re: chicken and egg

Posted by Charles-Alexandre Sabourdin <ka...@dedaletechnology.com>.
Le Lundi 22 Décembre 2003 16:49, Charles Tassoni a écrit :
>       I've got a chicken-and-egg problem.  I need to declare the jars
> created by my project inside project.xml-- otherwise I couldn't use maven
> to distribute them to the necessary ears, wars, etc.  And that means that
> when I build maven will load earlier versions of my jars into the
> repository, and that maven will include those jars in the classpath during
> compilation of my

this article would answer your problem :
http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=MavenMagic

<dependency>
      <groupId>Foobar-Travels</groupId>
      <artifactId>foobar-services</artifactId>
      <version>${pom.currentVersion}</version>
      <properties>
        <ejb.manifest.classpath>true</ejb.manifest.classpath>
      </properties>
    </dependency>
--
Charles-Alexandre