Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@portalvu.com> on 2004/05/15 13:34:03 UTC

struts future plans

what are the plans for struts?

should you add active developers interested in keeping up?

.V

Re: Jericho [WAS: RE: struts future plans]

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
The development cycle within most Apache products, and most open source products at large, is that volunteers are coding in either "evolutionary" mode or "revolutionary" mode. (The same is often true of closed-source product too.)

Right now, Struts 1.x is considered to be in "evolutionary" mode. Changes to the code base are expected to happen step-by-step, with backward compatibility as a mandatory feature.

Over the years, we have recognized that, if we-knew-then what we-know-now, there are several things we would have done differently with Struts 1.x. To give people a chance to try create a new Struts architecture, that is not chained to the past, we have dubbed Struts 2.x as a "revolution". This means that the code base will start as a clean slate, and backward compatibility is not a "mandatory" feature. (Though, obviously, a high degree of compatibility with Struts 1.x would be desirable.)

Of course, anything can be said. In a volunteer environment, all that really matters is what people do. Nothing in a volunteer project is really decided until someone "shows us the code".

Before starting anything new in a team-based environment, it's usually helpful to put together some type of proposal, describing what you have in mind. Jericho is a proposal describing some of the ideas people have broached for Struts 2.x. The next stage would be to post some working code in CVS, creating a working "whiteboard" with code that people can take for a spin.

If the whiteboard grows into something useful, then someone might suggest we release it as a Struts product. At that time, it would be given a true product name and a release number. Until then, the popular convention is to give the proposal/whiteboard some type of code name. In this case, the codename is Jericho.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-struts/contrib/struts-jericho/

Of course, the fact that some of us may be working on a Struts 2.x whiteboard doesn't affect what other people can do in regard to the Struts 1.x distributions. Several lines of development can proceed independently and at their own pace. It all depends on what itches volunteers need to scratch.

-Ted.

Re: struts future plans

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.