Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> on 2015/03/12 16:53:51 UTC

blog on choosing # topics/partitions in Kafka

Since this is a commonly asked question in the mailing list, I summarized
some of the considerations in a bit more detail in the following blog.

http://blog.confluent.io/2015/03/12/how-to-choose-the-number-of-topicspartitions-in-a-kafka-cluster/

Thanks,

Jun

Re: blog on choosing # topics/partitions in Kafka

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
Nice! Thank you, this is super helpful.

I'd add that not just the client can run out of memory with large
number of partitions - brokers can run out of memory too. We allocate
max.message.size * #partitions on each broker for replication.

Gwen