Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/29 02:45:37 UTC

remove "default from e-mail address" field from blog settings page?

Hi Team, I'm working on ROL-2018, an email notification routing issue.
On the blog settings page we define two email addresses: (1) for the
blog owner and (2) for the default "from" address for all notifications,
where (2) defaults to (1).  The idea being, if (1) is sensitive/private,
enter in (2) so everyone in the world sees (2) instead.  I think this is
superfluous -- if (1) is sensitive, just use (2) as the blog owner email
address to begin with.  I don't think we need to store two email
addresses per blog, nor do we want to store sensitive email addresses
anyway if we can avoid it.

At any rate, Roller is not even using (1) or (2) for sending emails --
it doesn't know the email account password, so it couldn't anyway,
unless we're to have Roller spoof email addresses.  Roller uses the
email address that the blog admin configures in his Java Mail setup
(Tomcat server.xml, for example) for all message routing.  So I'm
thinking we should remove the "Default /from/ e-mail address for
notifications" field on the blog settings page. WDYT?

Thanks,
Glen

Re: remove "default from e-mail address" field from blog settings page?

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me.

- Dave

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.