Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Arnone <pa...@nutechsolutions.com> on 2007/11/16 14:18:51 UTC

No dbs present & modules not installed

We are running SpamAssassin 3.1.8 on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3.

Currently, SpamAssassin is running but not flagging emails as ***SPAM***.

I get the following info when running spamassassin -lint:

[5841] warn: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line,
"/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/.bayes" is not valid for "bayes_path",
skipping: bayes_path /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/.bayes

[5841] warn: lint: 1 issues detected, please rerun with debug enabled for
more information

And the following info when running -lint -D:

[5563] dbg: diag: module not installed: IP::Country::Fast ('require' failed)

[5563] dbg: diag: module not installed: Razor2::Client::Agent ('require'
failed)

[5563] dbg: diag: module not installed: Net::Ident ('require' failed)

[5563] dbg: diag: module not installed: DBI ('require' failed)

[5768] dbg: bayes: no dbs present, cannot tie DB R/O:
/root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks

[5768] dbg: bayes: not scoring message, returning undef

[5768] dbg: bayes: opportunistic call attempt failed, DB not readable

I have two questions:

1)       Are these modules required in order for SpamAssassin to run
properly?  Just running -lint doesn't say anything about them.  If so, how
do I install them (I'm a FreeBSD/SpamAssassin newbie)

2)       The bayes_journal, bayes_seen, & bayes_toks files are in
/usr/local/vpopmail/.spamassassin but in our local.cf file, the bayes_path
is set to /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/.bayes which is an empty
directory.  Even if I change the bayes_path to
/usr/local/vpopmail/.spamassassin, I still get the message "no dbs present"
when running -lint -D.  What am I doing wrong?  Is it just a matter of
running sa-learn -sync?  But then it still doesn't seem like the bayes_path
is pointing to the right spot.

I know that this issue has come up many times before and I have spent
several days reading posts and web sites but I have not found the answer
that I am looking for.  I was hoping someone on this list could help.

Thanks,

Paul Arnone

Network Administrator

NuTech Solutions, Inc.

121 West Trade Street - Suite 1900

Charlotte, NC 28202

(704)943-5423

RE: No dbs present & modules not installed

Posted by Paul Arnone <pa...@nutechsolutions.com>.
Thanks.  Good to know that some of those modules are optional.

SpamAssassin was already in place on our server when I started working here.
But sometime after the old Network Admin left, it stopped flagging our
emails.

If bayes is optional for SA, then I could change use_bayes 1 to use_bayes 0
in local.cf and comment out the other bayes_ classifier options and it
should work?

Paul Arnone
Network Administrator
NuTech Solutions, Inc.
121 West Trade Street - Suite 1900
Charlotte, NC 28202
(704)943-5423
> We are running SpamAssassin 3.1.8 on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3.
>

> Currently, SpamAssassin is running but not flagging emails as ***SPAM***.

Hmm, that's odd. How did you integrate it into your mail system? (ie:
just having spamd running doesn't do anything at all)

> *I get the following info when running spamassassin -lint:*
>
> [5841] warn: config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line,
> "/usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/.bayes" is not valid for
> "bayes_path", skipping: bayes_path /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/.bayes
>
> [5841] warn: lint: 1 issues detected, please rerun with debug enabled
> for more information
>

> *And the following info when running -lint -D:*
>
> [5563] dbg: diag: module not installed: IP::Country::Fast ('require'
> failed)
>
> [5563] dbg: diag: module not installed: Razor2::Client::Agent
> ('require' failed)
>
> [5563] dbg: diag: module not installed: Net::Ident ('require' failed)
>
> [5563] dbg: diag: module not installed: DBI ('require' failed)
>

> I have two questions:
>
> 1)       Are these modules required in order for SpamAssassin to run
> properly?  Just running -lint doesn't say anything about them.  If so,
> how do I install them (I'm a FreeBSD/SpamAssassin newbie)

No. read the INSTALL document that comes with SpamAssassin under
"Optional modules"

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.2/INSTALL

> 2)       The bayes_journal, bayes_seen, & bayes_toks files are in
> /usr/local/vpopmail/.spamassassin but in our local.cf file, the
> bayes_path is set to /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/.bayes which is
> an empty directory.  Even if I change the bayes_path to
> /usr/local/vpopmail/.spamassassin, I still get the message "no dbs
> present" when running -lint -D.  What am I doing wrong?

You don't have DBI installed, therefore no databases can be supported.
Bayes is optional for SA, so DBI is optional.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.