Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com> on 2014/04/15 05:49:40 UTC

Re: RP_MATCHES_RCVD

On 11/8/2013 4:38 PM, John Hardin wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Nov 2013, Kris Deugau wrote:
>
>> LuKreme wrote:
>>> Some spam has been matching the rule RP_MATCHES_RCVD which is worth
>>> -2.8 points. I wanted to look at this rule, so I went to
>>> /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin and gripped for the name, but no hits.
>>
>> There was a thread on this rule not too long ago;  check the list
>> archives
>
> Yeah, I thought we'd killed that in favor of a subrule. I guess we never
> actually pulled the trigger on that change... Mark?

It seems to be back, and the value is changing from week to week.

Feb 28th - RP_MATCHES_RCVD = -0.001

(during first few weeks of March it was showing as T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD, -0.01)

Mar 24th - RP_MATCHES_RCVD = -0.535
Mar 27th - RP_MATCHES_RCVD = -0.371
Apr 7th - RP_MATCHES_RCVD = -0.271
Apr 14th - RP_MATCHES_RCVD = -0.989

Running 3.3.1 on CentOS 6 (from the @updates channel).  Running
"sa-update" daily.

Re: RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
>>> it's not corrected, that's the point...
>
> On 17.04.14 09:14, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>> The scoring occurs from automatic corpus checks.  The best way to
>> help the rule score better is to help with masscheck.
>
> and still SA people tune some scores manually.
>
>> Looking at
>> http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/?daterev=20140416-r1587834-n&rule=RP_MATCHES_RCVD&srcpath=&g=Change
>> there does appear to be a hamminess to the rule and it justifies a
>> negative score.  A score of -1.05 seems appropriate to me.
>
> Not to me. The whole fact that @gmail.com spam comming from gmail.com
> servers does not mean it's not spam, only because millions of
> @gmail.com ham
> comming from gmail.com are ham...
>
> this logic is braindead to me
Then you will likely have to use manual tuning.

regards,
KAM

Re: RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>>it's not corrected, that's the point...

On 17.04.14 09:14, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>The scoring occurs from automatic corpus checks.  The best way to
>help the rule score better is to help with masscheck.

and still SA people tune some scores manually.

>Looking at http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/?daterev=20140416-r1587834-n&rule=RP_MATCHES_RCVD&srcpath=&g=Change
>there does appear to be a hamminess to the rule and it justifies a
>negative score.  A score of -1.05 seems appropriate to me.

Not to me. The whole fact that @gmail.com spam comming from gmail.com
servers does not mean it's not spam, only because millions of @gmail.com ham
comming from gmail.com are ham...

this logic is braindead to me
- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.  -- Daffy Duck & Porky Pig

Re: RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Thomas Harold skrev den 2014-04-17 19:01:

> (Hopefully next month I can help out with the mass-check.)

should it not be like

meta RP_UNLISTED_HAM (!RP_MATCHES_RCVD)

if it should score as spam ?

if just scores are changed, then its another problem imho

Re: RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com>.
On 4/17/2014 9:14 AM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

>> it's not corrected, that's the point...
>>
> The scoring occurs from automatic corpus checks.  The best way to help
> the rule score better is to help with masscheck.

It's not really a good indicator of spam/ham here either.  A moderate
amount of spam is being marked as ham due to that rule's weight.

This rule was discussed back in Oct/Nov 2013, after which the rule was
manually set to -0.001.  And it stayed that way until at least Feb 28th
of this year.  Then during the first few weeks of March 2014, someone
converted it to a T_ rule before re-releasing it.

(Hopefully next month I can help out with the mass-check.)

Re: RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
> it's not corrected, that's the point...

The scoring occurs from automatic corpus checks.  The best way to help
the rule score better is to help with masscheck.

Looking at
http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/?daterev=20140416-r1587834-n&rule=RP_MATCHES_RCVD&srcpath=&g=Change
there does appear to be a hamminess to the rule and it justifies a
negative score.  A score of -1.05 seems appropriate to me.

Regards,
KAM

Re: RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 15.04.14 07:18, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>what is the problem ?, the scores is adjusted  by public corpus, so
>if there is score that is not correct its a sign of missing ham/spam
>to correct it

the problem with this rule is (and was) that it often pushes score under the
spam threshold.  It was complained here more times IIRC.

I have complained about this too, and I still have in my cf:

/etc/spamassassin/local.cf:score RP_MATCHES_RCVD 0

This rule is imho just something that should not be used as a whole.
No complaints against metas for now.

>other then that spamassassin does not just counts on one rule, so
>even if that rule seems incorrect hitting then it corrected by other
>rules

it's not corrected, that's the point...

Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are

Re: RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Thomas Harold skrev den 2014-04-15 05:49:

> (during first few weeks of March it was showing as T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD,
> -0.01)

note rules that begins with T_ is corpus testing rules, also why it
score just 0.01 here