Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by mjparme <mj...@west.com> on 2010/04/30 20:09:04 UTC

Adding proprietary jar to shared repository

I have created a shared repository with ivy:install and they went pretty much
trouble free. I installed some jars we use commonly in our projects (like
httpclient, log4j, etc). However, now I want to add some of our internal jar
files to the repository. There seems to be a gap in the documentation (or I
am simply not seeing it) on how to accomplish this with Ivy.

Do I need to create a <ivy-module> for each internal jar I want to add to
the repository? Or is there some shortcut? If I do to create an <ivy-module>
for each jar how then do I then use that file?

Maven seems to provide a shortcut to accomplish this, I am looking for the
Ivy equivalent to this:

mvn install:install-file -Dfile=<path-to-file> -DgroupId=<group-id> \
    -DartifactId=<artifact-id> -Dversion=<version> -Dpackaging=<packaging>

Re: Adding proprietary jar to shared repository

Posted by mjparme <mj...@west.com>.
That is what I am looking for, thank you! I am unsure how I missed that, I
have read a large majority of the documentation on the Ivy website and paid
close attention to the ANT task documentation. Maybe I did read it and it
didn't click with me what I would use it for....oh well, thanks for the
pointer!

BTW, the Ivy documentation is very good. All open source projects should
take note of Ivy's and CXF's documentation and use it as an example. (CXF
has great documentation as well).

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by mjparme <mj...@west.com>.
Thanks for the tip about putting the modules all in one file. I know next to
nothing about Maven as well. Actually new to the whole dependency management
thing. I have always thought it was a solution looking for a problem.
However, figured I would test it out on a project and see for myself.

I like the flexibility of Ivy to copy the jars to a lib directory and still
being able to commit them to source control.

Posted by Michael Shea <mi...@nitido.com>.

Posted by mjparme <mj...@west.com>.