Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Christian Bock <ch...@krisbe.de> on 2002/06/13 18:19:48 UTC

Provider for Jini-Services

Hi to all!

Currently I am working on my deploma-thesis with the task
to use Jini-Services from small mobile devices (CLDC/MIDP)
What I've done so far is to start an implementation of a bridge
between Apache-XML-RPC and kXML-RPC ( from Enhydra )
but now I want to use Apache-SOAP and kSOAP because
it has the big advantage of the ClassMappingRegistry.
So my question is if someone out there already had the same
idea of bridging JINI and SOAP and is or was working on a
"RPCJiniProvider" ?

comments are welcome!

chris

Re: Provider for Jini-Services

Posted by Christian Bock <ch...@krisbe.de>.
Hi,

what exactly is your ServerSOAP/JiniClient?
I assume you use a Servlet as server, is that
right?
I have written a little RPCJiniProvider, but
unfortunatly I do not get it to work.
I can't figure out the problem, but the symptomes
are that a component "JiniConnector" which does
all the Discovery and Lookup using Lookup/
ServiceDiscoveryManager does not find any LUS
or service at all.
The "JiniConnector" works fine as "Standalone".
I found some information about Servlets and Jini
what seems not to fit my needs.

The codebase in CATALINA_OPTS is set:
http://mycomputer:8081/

The permission in catalina.policy is set to
grant {
    permission java.security.AllPermission "", "";
}

I found some information about Classloader
problems in earlier versions of Tomcat ( I am
using 4.0)
But testing that out, the classloader is the
ContextClassloader, which should be the
right one ( Please correct me ! )
A note about speed says that it takes a few
minutes to discover a service from within a
Apache-Tomcat-Servlet but even after half
an hour there are no results ...
Even the Jini debug-options do not tell me
anything about any problem.

any ideas?

what information would be helpful to figure
out the problem?

thanks in advance

chris

     I am currently working on project that involves both technologies (JINI and SOAP) but I am using the following approach:

  ClientSOAP----------(1-request)-------->ServerSOAP&ClientJini----------(2-request)--------->ServerJini
  ClientSOAP<-------(4-response)------- ServerSOAP&ClientJini<--------(3-response)-------  ServerJini

     So I have had to develope a class that acts as a ServerSOAP but in fact is just a Jini client and the real server that provides all the logic is a Jini Server. This is the simplest way I have found to join SOAP and JINI but I think the idea of building a "RPCJiniProvider" as you suggest should be the right way to use these two technologies.

Posted by Christian Bock <ch...@krisbe.de>.
Once again ...
of cause I did not bridge Apache-XML-RPC and kXML-RPC
but I bridged Jini and Apache-XML-RPC and used that via
kXML-RPC

Posted by Christian Bock <ch...@krisbe.de>.
Once again ...