Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/24 05:25:10 UTC

What else for a Continuum 1.3 GA release?

Any thoughts on what else needs to go into Continuum 1.3, before we call it GA?

Marica started this thread on additional work on Distributed Build,
which I assume needs to be finished.
http://www.nabble.com/Missing-Functionalities-in-Distributed-Builds-td21697552.html

A few other things we've talked about...
 - enabling parallel builds on each distributed agent
 - improving the upgrade process (using Liquibase?)
 - introducing a plugin mechanism
... are those things anyone has in progress or is planning to work on
in the near future?

The roadmap is here if you want to make updates:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONTINUUM/Continuum+1.3+Roadmap

--
Wendy

Re: What else for a Continuum 1.3 GA release?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Some active JIRA management is really needed - we have 11 for 1.3.2, 63 for
> 1.3.x (how many are really candidates for a GA release?) and 120 that
> haven't even been reviewed :(

I gave up and shifted everything from 1.3.x and 1.x into Future.
There's just too much that's been sitting there for months to go
through it issue by issue right now.  Feel free to pull things you
plan to work on into 1.4.x, but I'd like to avoid it becoming a long
wish list like 1.3.x did. :)

There are still ~100 issues that need to be reviewed.

I've also moved a couple that were scheduled for 1.3.3 out to 1.4.0.
Both of them were upgrading minor versions of significant
dependencies-- Maven 2.0 to 2.1, and Maven SCM 1.1 to 1.2.

At this point 1.3.x should only get minor changes and documentation,
so we can label it GA and wrap up that branch.  I'm hoping 1.3.3 will
be the one!

One remaining task is to figure out where we are on the 1.2.x -> 1.3.x
upgrade process.  My test is whether vmbuild can be upgraded smoothly.

(The first 1.4.x release can happen any time, it doesn't have to wait
for 1.3 to go GA.)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/31 José Morales Martínez <jm...@gmv.com>:
> Currently there are many issues open which have attached a patch. I think, we should first apply them and then create the branch. It should reduce the merges number to do.

We have to stop somewhere. :)  The branch is done, and 1.4.x work can
continue on trunk -- we don't actually have to merge everything back
to the 1.3.x branch, we can do 1.4.0 any time.  I'm not looking for
1.3.x to be perfect, just to stabilize with minor fixes and no more
new features added.

Posted by José Morales Martínez <jm...@gmv.com>.
Currently there are many issues open which have attached a patch. I think, we should first apply them and then create the branch. It should reduce the merges number to do.

> I'm interested in documentation and in easing the upgrade process from
> 1.2.x to 1.3.x.  Is the export-and-import process still necessary or
> has that been improved?

I think export-and-import should can work with MySQL for 1.3 GA

-----------------------
Jose

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
ok for me.
Emmanuel

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> From a big priorities point of view, I agree. A plugin mechanism (more than
> what we have now) really sounds like a 2.0 type thing to me since it will
> touch the whole system.
>
> I think getting another release out is important - keeping the objectives
> simple is good.
>
> Some active JIRA management is really needed - we have 11 for 1.3.2, 63 for
> 1.3.x (how many are really candidates for a GA release?) and 120 that
> haven't even been reviewed :(

Definitely.  I made a small dent in it recently, but it's slow going.
Since this thread has been fairly quiet, I'm going to pare down the
list for 1.3.2 to the things I can tell from dev list discussion are
actively being worked on and see about getting that one closed out.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
 From a big priorities point of view, I agree. A plugin mechanism
(more than what we have now) really sounds like a 2.0 type thing to me
since it will touch the whole system.

I think getting another release out is important - keeping the
objectives simple is good.

Some active JIRA management is really needed - we have 11 for 1.3.2,
63 for 1.3.x (how many are really candidates for a GA release?) and
120 that haven't even been reviewed :(

Cheers,
Brett

--