Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alarcón Vladimir <vl...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2015/10/27 16:30:27 UTC

Re: Tomcat Grid

Hi guys,

Soon I'll have bandwidth to work on the Tomcat Grid. I think I can develop the proof of concept in short time so we can have a discussion on the features we could add later on. My idea is to divide this project in many small increments.

So far I reached the basic operations to start/stop Tomcat instances from a centralized location and to get the basic JVM stats (resource utilization) through JMX. I developed two interfaces: a command line interface, and a simple web interface. All is written in Java including the grid agents. So far I'm using fair minimal configuration files, but I have the design of the comprehensive configuration files.

Well, I need to decide what would be the next steps, but before I do so, I would like to store the code in a repository. I hate to keep the code on my hard drive only. Can you provide me with a repo. I can easily do SVN or GIT.

Thanks,
Vladimir

 Subject: Tomcat Grid
 To: dev@tomcat.apache.org
 Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2015, 1:55 PM

 Hi, for a few months I was wondering
 about an extension for Tomcat but I'm not sure if there
 would be interest from the part of the Tomcat team.

 It's about managing multiple Tomcat servers across multiple
 machines, from one (or more) centralized location, something
 like a "Grid Admin". Anyway, the thing is that when you have
 many Tomcat servers, it could be useful to perform basic
 operations from a web or command-line interface, so to
 start, stop, restart, and (sometimes) kill Tomcat servers.

 My work includes developing web applications and also
 managing production deployments for clusters of small
 clusters of 2 servers to clusters of 70 servers, and when
 you have that many, it's a pain in the neck to manage them
 one by one.

 I think I can write a basic proof of concept, but I would
 like to find out if it's worth it or not.

 Thank you,
 Vlad

Re: Tomcat Grid

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Vladimir,

On 10/27/15 11:30 AM, Alarcón Vladimir wrote:
> Soon I'll have bandwidth to work on the Tomcat Grid. I think I can
> develop the proof of concept in short time so we can have a
> discussion on the features we could add later on. My idea is to
> divide this project in many small increments.
>
> So far I reached the basic operations to start/stop Tomcat instances
> from a centralized location and to get the basic JVM stats (resource
> utilization) through JMX. I developed two interfaces: a command line
> interface, and a simple web interface. All is written in Java
> including the grid agents. So far I'm using fair minimal
> configuration files, but I have the design of the comprehensive
> configuration files.
>
> Well, I need to decide what would be the next steps, but before I do
> so, I would like to store the code in a repository. I hate to keep
> the code on my hard drive only. Can you provide me with a repo. I can
> easily do SVN or GIT.

I think the best place for you is probably GitHub. Unless there is wide
support for hosting your project within the Tomcat svn repo (which I
doubt at this point), getting into the ASF revision-control system is
going to take you a long time.

Just make sure you tell GitHub that you are developing an open-source
project and it will be free.

-chris