Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Birt, Jeffrey" <bi...@umr.edu> on 2004/07/08 17:10:56 UTC

Newbie question: Error 503 Service Temp. Unavailable

Hello all,

I've been working on getting Apache 2.0.49 and Tomcat 5.0.25 to play
nice together via mod_jk2 connector.  Both work fine separately and I
get the dreaded 503 Service Temp. Unavailable error.  (which seems to
have come up a lot on various list but I've yet to find  a solution).

I've been following along with this guide.
http://www.opq.se/sxs/internet_serving/c875.html

I'm running Fedora Core 1 with Apache 2.0.49 and Tomcat 5.0.25, both
Apache and Tomcat were installed form RPM's, and as mentioned both seem
to work fine separately.  The only relevant thing I've found in the logs
is in the Apache error_log and is as follows:

[error] chanelUn.connect() connect failed 2 No such file or directory
[error] ajp13.connect() failed ajp13:/opt/tomcat/work/jk2.socket
Etc.

My jk2.properties is as follows:
# jk2.properties
# Configured for channel UNIX

# Set the desired handler list
handler.list=apr,request,channelUnix

# UNIX Domain socket location
channelUnix.file=/opt/tomcat/work/jk2.socket

# Dynamic Library
serverRoot=/etc/httpd
apr.NativeSo=/usr/lib/httpd/modules/libjkjni.so

and workers2.properties:
# workers2.properties

# Shared memory handling. Needs to be set.
[shm]
info=Scoreboard. Required for reconfiguration and status with
multiprocess serve
rs
file=/opt/tomcat/logs/jk2.shm
size=1048576
debug=0
disabled=0

# UNIX domain socket
[channel.un:/opt/tomcat/work/jk2.socket]
tomcatId=localhost:8009
debug=0

# define the worker
[ajp13:/opt/tomcat/work/jk2.socket]
channel=channel.un:/opt/tomcat/work/jk2.socket

# Announce a "status" worker
[status:status]
info=Status worker. Displays runtime information.

[uri:/jkstatus/*]
group=status:status

# Uri mapping
[uri:/examples/*]

# Uri mapping for MyFirst
[uri:/MyFirst/*]

I've added the LoadModule jk2_module etc. in httpd.conf

When Tomcat starts a jk2.shm file is created but no jk2.socket file.
I'm running everything as root (to make it simpler at this point) and
have checked that everything is owned by root (I think).

I'm guessing this is caused by incorrect configuration but I don't have
a clue as to where to look.

Can you guys help a newbie out?

Jeff Birt
Electronics Engineer