Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick <ni...@finiteautomata.com> on 2004/06/10 20:48:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Server-Status Questions

Hello, I am running Apache 2.0.49 and running the server-status module.  I don't fully understand some of the stats.  I keep seeing a Child SRV's SS numbers (Seconds since beginning of most recent request) reaching what I think is really high, then it releases them.  Below is a snapshot of SRV4.  It had one request not doing anything for 2114 seconds.  Why isn't my KeepAliveTimeout stopping these after it set 15 seconds or how come the TimeOut Value of 60 seconds is dropping these?

4-0	-	0/0/1259	. 	0.00	2114	0	0.0	0.00	6.32 	XXX.XX.XXX.XX	www.XXXXX.com	GET /somedir/somefile HTTP/1.0

When I run
# ps -ef|grep httpd|wc
I see an average of 8 Apache processes running but in /server-status I only see SRV's 0-5.

It isn't good to have so many requests hanging on out there is it, or I am completely misunderstanding the stats?

Are these decent stats?  Is 32.3 requests/sec a good amount?

CPU Usage: u1.21 s.92 cu0 cs0 - .013% CPU load
32.3 requests/sec - 215.2 kB/second - 6.7 kB/request
105 requests currently being processed, 135 idle workers

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [users@httpd] Server-Status Questions

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Nick wrote:

> Hello, I am running Apache 2.0.49 and running the server-status module.
> I don't fully understand some of the stats.  I keep seeing a Child SRV's
> SS numbers (Seconds since beginning of most recent request) reaching
> what I think is really high, then it releases them.  Below is a snapshot
> of SRV4.  It had one request not doing anything for 2114 seconds.  Why
> isn't my KeepAliveTimeout stopping these after it set 15 seconds or how
> come the TimeOut Value of 60 seconds is dropping these?
>
> 4-0	-	0/0/1259	. 	0.00	2114	0	0.0	0.00	6.32 	XXX.XX.XXX.XX	www.XXXXX.com	GET /somedir/somefile HTTP/1.0

The "." indicates that this is an empty slot.  The process that served the
request noted here has been killed off because it wasn't needed.  So the
process hasn't been doing nothing for 2114 seconds, it is just that the
last time a process in that got a request was 2114 seconds ago.

> When I run # ps -ef|grep httpd|wc I see an average of 8 Apache processes
> running but in /server-status I only see SRV's 0-5.

There is a control process that doesn't serve requests, but handles
dispatching the other processes.  If you are using mod_cgid, there is also
a cgi daemon process to dispatch cgi requests.

> Are these decent stats?  Is 32.3 requests/sec a good amount?

Define "good amount" ;-)

Joshua.