Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rick Knowles <ri...@knowleses.org> on 2005/09/07 09:52:33 UTC

Jasper TCKing

All,

Not sure how to go about this, but I wanted to offer my services with
TCK compliance testing of tomcat/jasper.

I have been granted JSR 152 and 154 TCK karma for my own container
(winstone), and I figured since TCK karma is so hard to get, you guys
might appreciate having someone else who can share the responsibility
for tomcat. Obviously there would be some working out of communication
details because of TCK contract restrictions, but that shouldn't be
hard. It's in my interest to help with compliance because Jasper is
being used within Winstone - I've got it to pass all the JSR154 tests,
but the 152 tests were failing in a few places ...

I haven't been on this list for a while, so shoot me down if this is a
known problem - I ran the JSP TCK over jasper + tomcat 5.5.9, and
noticed that there were a few test failures when I ran it (four or so
that I counted in the api section). The main reason was that under
winstone I noticed the errors, so I tried running it against tomcat, and
got the same errors. It's possible they've been excluded and I've
misconfigured my test environment, so I well and truly leave open the
possibility it's my fault - just wanted to check.

Anyway, please let me know if the help is needed.

Rick

--
Servlet v2.4 container in a single 140KB jar file ? Try Winstone (http://winstone.sourceforge.net/)

Re: Jasper TCKing

Posted by Rick Knowles <ri...@knowleses.org>.
Yoav,

>Thank you for the offer.  It's certainly welcome.  We have TCK grants for these
>APIs at Apache, and have had them for years. (In fact, the ASF has TCK rights
>from Sun for virtually every API out there ;))  But as you've noted, it's a
>time-consuming task, and in general we gladly welcome external help in all
>areas.

Yes - I noticed the Apache Watchdog project heritage. Couldn't help but
laugh that Sun are charging for the same tests now (for commercial
vendors anyway) ...

The main thing I wanted to offer was to help with running it before
releases (which I think is part of the contract), and my understanding
is that only the individuals within the project that sign their lives
away to Sun are allowed access to the TCK, which I would guess isn't
everyone on the tomcat-dev team.

>Would it be possible for you to run the TCK occasionally (as your time permits,
>of course) on publicly-released Tomcat versions, and post the results either to
>this mailing list or as a Bugzilla issue for Tomcat?  If not, we'll see what we
>can work out.  There are some more private forums to which that information can
>go, but the public route is preferred, to help our users with their QA and due
>diligence tasks.

OK - no problem. Is it okay to post the results of TCK tests publicly
though ? I thought that wasn't allowed by the contract. I guess it
should be okay if I just publish the test groups and indexes that fail.

The tests that failed were:

jsp/api/javax_servlet/jsp/pagecontext: tests 15,28,30
jsp/api/javax_servlet/jsp/tagext/simpletagsupport: test 7
jsp/spec/core_syntax/actions/invoke: test 7
jsp/spec/core_syntax/implicitobjects: test 3
jsp/spec/tagfiles/semantics: tests 1,2,3,4

Note this is 5.5.9, so possibly already fixed.

Rick

--
Servlet v2.4 container in a single 140KB jar file ? Try Winstone (http://winstone.sourceforge.net/)

Re: Jasper TCKing

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Rick,
Thank you for the offer.  It's certainly welcome.  We have TCK grants for these
APIs at Apache, and have had them for years. (In fact, the ASF has TCK rights
from Sun for virtually every API out there ;))  But as you've noted, it's a
time-consuming task, and in general we gladly welcome external help in all
areas.

Would it be possible for you to run the TCK occasionally (as your time permits,
of course) on publicly-released Tomcat versions, and post the results either to
this mailing list or as a Bugzilla issue for Tomcat?  If not, we'll see what we
can work out.  There are some more private forums to which that information can
go, but the public route is preferred, to help our users with their QA and due
diligence tasks.

Yoav