Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Sean W. Ferguson" <se...@comcast.net> on 2003/08/16 02:14:09 UTC

[jelly] Private vs Protected question

I am noticing in a lot of the code that there are private member
variables.  That makes it very hard for someone who is extending the
code, since they do not get access to those variables.  Is there a
reason for choosing private over protected?

Re: [jelly] Private vs Protected question

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 08:14  PM, Sean W. Ferguson wrote:
> I am noticing in a lot of the code that there are private member
> variables.  That makes it very hard for someone who is extending the
> code, since they do not get access to those variables.  Is there a
> reason for choosing private over protected?

Probably to protect the internal API of the tag. I'd be happy to accept
patches to add protected accessor methods for those variables.
-pete