Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by James Troup <ad...@linuxterminal.com> on 2006/11/07 09:16:34 UTC

XML Import error

Hi guys,

I am in the process of testing data importing into ofbiz and I am
running into an error.

I have created a simple entity definition file XML file and it parses
the CSV file I have no problems;  the resultant file looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<entity-engine-xml>
<Product productId="HT120032C2SS" description="2 ARM LEAF CURL SS"
productTypeId="FINISHED_GOOD" />
<Product productId="HT7016FB2" description="3 ARM LEAF CURL FB"
productTypeId="FINISHED_GOOD" />
<Product productId="HW209" description="Washer 209 brs"
productTypeId="FINISHED_GOOD" />
<Product productId="1ALCOIL3012" description="ALUM. COIL 54mmWx0.95mmTH"
productTypeId="FINISHED_GOOD" />
</entity-engine-xml>

When I try to use the XML Import to DataSoure(s) Web Tool I get the
following error:

    * ERROR: Error parsing entity xml file:
      org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: '=' expected

I have also tried to import from the command line using

java -jar ofbiz.jar -install -file=./product.xml

but to no avail!

Where do I start looking from here?

Thanks,
James

Re: XML Import error

Posted by James Troup <ad...@linuxterminal.com>.
Hi all,

Here is a very simple way to debug the xml import files.

Just open them in a web browser.

Firefox spits out the error particularly nicely.

It actually shows you what is wrong and where.

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: file://///Bizserv/james/xag.xml
Line Number 49, Column 56:

<Product productId="HL10016FPBS" description="A/PRO L&N 100X75X1.6 FP
BS" productTypeId="FINISHED_GOOD" />
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

As we see in this case it is the "&"

I hope this little snippet of info might assist someone else.

James

Re: XML Import error

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi,

me again. ;)

The issue and the patch can be found here:

I hope this will fix the problems - at least the problem with special
language specific chars like German umlauts is fixed with this patch.

Best regards,
Fabian.

Re: XML Import error

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi,

I've looked up the export and added a conversion for characters out of
the ASCII range to XML entities. The exported values can now be imported
w/o any problems. :)

Tomorrow I'll submit the patch to JIRA and I hope it will be accepted.

Best regards,
Fabian.

Re: XML Import error

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi Guido,

Guido Amarilla wrote:
> I had a similar problem too with latin á ú é í ó characters.
> Make sure the encoding of the xml file is UTF-8 and be careful if you
> convert it from ASCII.

that could be the point. I didn't check, whether the file was correctly
encoded. The encoding="UTF-8" header was set, but the content could be
wrong (I'll check this on the weekend with a hex editor, too.). It was the
original export from Webtools which couldn't be imported properly with a
blank database scheme.

But, nevertheless, would it not be a good idea to encode all chars except
of ASCII chars as XML entities? I think when using XML this is the best
practice for real interoperability and it is the only way that guarantees
that all of the chars/objects of a XML document can be viewed on any
system. Perhaps I could open a issue in Jira, but before I'll check it
twice. ;)

Best regards,
Fabian.

Re: XML Import error

Posted by Guido Amarilla <ga...@gmail.com>.
I had a similar problem too with latin á ú é í ó characters.
Make sure the encoding of the xml file is UTF-8 and be careful if you
convert it from ASCII.

I think that you have a quote char ( " ) somewhere inside a value in
your XML file, for example:

<Product productId="1ALCOIL3012" description="ALUM. COIL 54mmWx0.95"mmTH"
productTypeId="FINISHED_GOOD" />

so the parser may think that  mmTH is a field and you`re missing =
before the next "

Guido Amarilla

Re: XML Import error

Posted by James Troup <ad...@linuxterminal.com>.
Hi all,

Re: XML Import error

Posted by Fabian Gorsler <fa...@der-moloch.de>.
Hi all,

Re: XML Import error

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <to...@yahoo.com>.
Hey James,

That's great that you got the solution.
I only tried the data that you sent on mailing list
and that worked fine for me.

Anyway good luck for the rest work.
Regards
Ashish Vijaywargiya