Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/14 00:20:03 UTC

Podling status Copyright section

The Copyright section of the podling status page says "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project.".

I'd propose a change:

"Check to make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been received (SGA or CCLA). It is necessary to transfer rights for any existing package and core code. Any new code produced by the project must be covered by ICLA."

This change is proposed because it might not be obvious to everyone what "the papers that transfer rights" are. And new code produced must be committed by a person who has filed an ICLA.

Patches welcome.

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Podling status Copyright section

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
+1

*From: *Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>
*Date: *Tue, May 14, 2019 at 1:38 AM
*To: * <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

+1 from me much clearer

Justin

Re: Podling status Copyright section

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1 on change, much clearer. Perhaps a link to the docs or a page with those
links?

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Podling status Copyright section

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> "Check to make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been received (SGA or CCLA). It is necessary to transfer rights for any existing package and core code. Any new code produced by the project must be covered by ICLA."

While clearer, I just want to check it covers all cases? I know in some cases both a SGA and CCLA was needed, I assume the company thought it needed one when we don’t actually care? I can see we’re covered by ICLAs in the case where we have SGA+ICLAs and CCLA+ICLA.

What would happen in the case where we had CCLA+ICLAs and the company then turned around and said everything pass the CCLA is ours as our employee contracts state so? Hypothetical and unlikely to happen I know but I’m curious to know. I think if this happen doesn't matter given the code base is under ALv2 and basically free for all to use. I would reason that the copyright owners just are not who we thought they are ie. the company owns it not the individual contributors, but  there’s no real effect from that change of ownership so we don’t care?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Podling Status Event Dates - Re: Podling status Copyright section

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Thanks for this. The steps are very clear and I like the addition of
repository clearance.

Kenn

Posted by Chris Lambertus <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
A CCLA has two schedules (exhibits? sections?): one for employees, and one
for software grants. The grants section is typically left empty.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Podling status Copyright section

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Matt,