Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "B. Fongo" <mo...@fongo.de> on 2004/02/27 01:12:58 UTC

mod_perl-xxx.rpm not a better choice?

Are there any reasons why one shouldn't use rpm version of mod_perl?
I'm on Red Hat 8.0, and for unknown reason, mod_perl is behaving
strangely.

Should I better get mod_perl source from perl.apache and installed them?

Thanks

Re: mod_perl-xxx.rpm not a better choice?

Posted by Shannon Eric Peevey <sp...@unt.edu>.
B. Fongo wrote:

> Are there any reasons why one shouldn’t use rpm version of mod_perl?
>
> I’m on Red Hat 8.0, and for unknown reason, mod_perl is behaving
> strangely.

The binary packages of mod_perl are good for what they are.
Unfortunately, they are compiled with a set of flags that are seen as
the most useful for the majority. Therefore, if you want, or need, any
special options, then it is best to use the tarball. (Also, the binary
package may, or may not, include the newest version of the tarball)

'sup to you :)

--
Shannon Eric Peevey                     =>  "speeves"
Dyno-Mite! System Administrator         =>  speeves@unt.edu