Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Simon Kittle <si...@kittle.co.uk> on 2008/09/08 19:16:01 UTC

SMTP AUTH and JAMES (with Outlook, JavaMail)

hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of known pitfalls getting MS
Outlook to work with JAMES and SMTP AUTH.

I have JAMES all setup with SMTP AUTH.

I can successfully run an SMTP session via telnet, and it authenticates okay
and sends the mail which gets delivered fine.

However, when I try to use MS Outlook as the client, I get problems.
Basically, Outlook just throws error after error.  Outlook can successfully
connect to the JAMES POP3 server and fetch the messages, but it just won't
send stuff using SMTP AUTH.

I get the same problem with JavaMail, it will not send using JAMES and SMTP
AUTH.  Throws authentication error.  (Yes I've double checked all passwords,
etc.)

Any ideas?

Si

Re: SMTP AUTH and JAMES (with Outlook, JavaMail)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Simon Kittle ha scritto:
> Thank you that has fixed it, at least I can now get it working in Outlook
> just fine.
>
> I'm still having great trouble with JavaMail though.  Does anyone have any
> examples of getting JavaMail to SMTP AUTH properly with JAMES?
>
> In my client code I've setup the property "mail.smtp.auth".  I've written an
> Authenticator, SmtpAuthenticator which extends javax.mail.Authenticator and
> returns the username and password, and Session.getInstance() is called with
> this as a second parameter.
>
> I've tried this with the static method Transport.send, and I've also tried
> doing the tr.connect manually so I can supply the username and password
> (should that be necessary if you've given Session.getInstance the
> authenticator object?).
>
> Either way, both methods are failing with authentication failed.  I saw one
> example on the web where someone was also setting the "mail.smtp.submitter"
> property to be the result of authenticator.getPasswordAuthentication(), I've
> tried that too but still no work.
>
> So I now have SMTP AUTH working on JAMES via telnet, and with Outlook, but
> in JavaMail it still throws authentication errors, it seems like JavaMail
> isn't actually doing the authentication, but I can't find any other method
> than the one described above.
>
> Any help much appreciated,

This is a question for javamail-interest list.
BTW there is a property to see what javamail does: "mail.debug" or
session.setDebug(true).

You can also check the smtpserver logs to see if anything is logged by
james. You can enable "DEBUG" logging for the smtpserver component
(Enable the debug level in your environment.xml file wit log-level="DEBUG").

Stefano

Posted by Simon Kittle <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.