Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jon Marshall <jm...@hotmail.co.uk> on 2018/06/20 07:25:27 UTC

Storage traffic clarification.

I am probably missing something obvious but according to this article (https://www.shapeblue.com/understanding-cloudstacks-physical-networking-architecture/)  by default primary and secondary storage traffic travels across the management network.

As an example assume basic networking with 2 NICS, one for management with an IP subnet,  the other NIC for guest traffic using a different subnet. A physical host should only have one default gateway and this would have to be from the guest VM subnet.

I setup two tests  -

1) the NFS server had an IP address from the management subnet

2) the NFS server was on a completely different IP subnet ie. not the management or the guest IP subnets.

Both worked but in test 2 I can't see how the storage traffic could be using the management NIC because there is no default gateway on the compute nodes for the management subnet and the NFS server is on a remote network.

So is storage traffic in test 2 actually running across the guest NIC ?

And as the recommendation is to have separate storage from guest traffic does this mean the NFS server has to be in the management subnet ?

Thanks

Re: Storage traffic clarification.

Posted by Jon Marshall <jm...@hotmail.co.uk>.
Ilya

Thanks for the response.

So if I use cloudbr0 for management then define that on the storage icon as well when setting up a zone.

Is there something else I need to do as well though because when I set it up I have cloudbr0 for management and cloudbr1 for guest and in the network configuration files I only define a default gateway in the cloudbr1 file.

This is what caught me out originally ie. I defined a default gateway in both cloudbrx files and the SSVM chose the management vlan as it's default gateway so the guest traffic did not work.  If i only set the default gateway in the guest subnet everything works but then the SSVM will have a default gateway in the guest IP subnet and as it does not have an interface in the NFS subnet it has to use that default gateway to get to the NFS server.

Perhaps I am not understanding how cloudstack is doing the routing internally ?

Jon

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Jon