Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu> on 2013/05/30 16:10:06 UTC

Solr 4.3, Tomcat, "Error filterStart"

I am trying to get Solr installed in Tomcat, and having trouble.

I am trying to use the instructions at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat as a guide.  Trying to start with
the example Solr from the Solr distro. Tried using the Tried with both a
binary distro with existing solr.war, and with compiling my own solr.war.

* Solr 4.3.0
* Tomcat 6.0.29
* JVM 1.6

When I start up tomcat, I get in the Tomcat log:

INFO: Deploying web application archive solr.war
May 29, 2013 3:59:40 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error filterStart
May 29, 2013 3:59:40 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/solr] startup failed due to previous errors

And solr is not actually deployed, naturally.

I've tried to google for advice on this -- mostly what I found was
suggestions for how to turn up logging to get more info (maybe a stack
trace?) to give you more clues what's failing -- but nothing I found
suggested succesfully worked to turn up logging.

So I'm at a bit of a loss. Any suggestions? Any ideas what might be
causing this error, and/or how to get more information on what's causing it?

Re: Solr 4.3, Tomcat, "Error filterStart"

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Did you find <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3016808/tomcat-startup-logs-severe-error-filterstart-how-to-get-a-stack-trace> ?

Steve

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Usually tomcat errors with Solr 4.3 happen due to uncopied logging
libraries. I would check if installing Solr 4.2.1 works and/or copy
additional libraries in (search mailing list for this issue).

However, I am not entirely sure that's the case here. It feels that
perhaps the definition of the handler could be a bigger issue here. I
assume you have an xml file somewhere that defines that /solr maps to
solr.war. I would double check that. Maybe try to deploy something
smaller and easier and see what the difference is.

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/30/2013 1:19 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> Okay, sadly, i still can't get this to work.
>
> Following the instructions at:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#Using_the_example_logging_setup_in_containers_other_than_Jetty
>

> I copied solr/example/lib/ext/*.jar into my tomcat's ./lib, and copied
> solr/example/resources/log4j.properties there too.
>
> The result is unchanged, when I start tomcat, it still says:

OK, at this point, you've got Solr's logging configured, but your tomcat
log won't be used -- the default logging destination has changed to log4j.

You might need to edit the log4j.properties file so that it points at a
location that exists - the default is logs/solr.log, relative to the
current working directory of the tomcat process.

Once the log4j destination gets created properly, you can look there for
Solr's logs, which will hopefully give you additional insight.

If you want it to work with tomcat exactly how it did before, then you
can go back to the old logging method (java.util.logging) with another
section on that page:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#Switching_from_Log4J_back_to_JUL_.28java.util.logging.29

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr 4.3, Tomcat, "Error filterStart"

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.
Okay, for posterity: I did manage to get it working. It WAS lack of the
logging files.

First, the only way I could manage to get Tomcat6 to log an actual
stacktrace for the "Error filterStart" was to _delete_ my
CATALINA_HOME/conf/logging.properties file.  Apparently without this
file at all, the default ends up being 'log everything'.

And once that happened, it did confirm that the "Error filterStart"
problem WAS an inability to find the logging jars. (And the stack trace
was an exception from Solr with a nice message including the URL to the
logging wiki page, nice one solr). Nothing I tried before in a fit of
desperation deleting that file entirely worked to get the stack trace
logged.

Once confirmed that the problem really was not finding the logging jars,
I could keep doing things and restarting and seeing if that was still
the exception.

And I found that for some reason, despite
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html
suggesting that jars could be found in either CATALINA_BASE/lib (for me
/opt/tomcat6/lib), OR CATALINA_BASE/lib (for me /usr/share/tomcat6/lib),
in fact for whatever reason /opt/tomcat6/lib was being ignored, but
/usr/share/tomcat6/lib worked.

And now I succesfully have solr started in tomcat.

I realize that these are all tomcat6 issues, not solr issues. But others
trying to get solr started may have similar problems. Appreciate the tip
that the "Error filterStart" was probably related to new solr 4.3.0
logging setup, which ended up confirmed.

Jonathan

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/30/2013 9:26 AM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> Thanks! I guess I should have asked on-list BEFORE wasting 4 hours
> fighting with it myself, but I was trying to be a good user and do my
> homework!  Oh well.
>
> Off to the logging instructions, hope I can figure them out -- if you
> could update the tomcat instructions with the simplest possible way to
> get deploy in Tomcat to work, that'd def be helpful!

Commute done.

I'm not a tomcat user, so the only thing I know about where to drop
those jars and properties file is "tomcat/lib" ... do you have anything
more specific that I can include in the wiki page?  In particular, I'd
like to know if there are any particular config files or other specific
information I can list to help the reader locate where tomcat/lib
lives.  I suppose I can put what I do know and let someone with better
knowledge update it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr 4.3, Tomcat, "Error filterStart"

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.

Posted by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu>.
I'm going to add a note to http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging ,
with the Tomcat sample "Error filterStart" error, as an example of
something you might see if you have not set up logging.

Then at least in the future, googling "solr tomcat error filterStart"
might lead someone to the clue that it might be logging.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.