Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org> on 2016/10/24 16:41:46 UTC

Tech debt cleanup for Future releases

I had 2 things in mind that we need to work in tandem with adding/improving
functionality in Streams.

(a) Remove author info from all code that has it, and add sensible JavaDocs
for each class

(b) Now that we are officially Java 8, minimize Guava API use and migrate
most Guava stuff to Java 8 where possible.

Suneel

Re: Tech debt cleanup for Future releases

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
(1) We could start with a bare minimum ground rules For FindBugs and refine
those as we move along.
(2) CheckStyle is a good idea -

         - do we wanna 2 spaces or 2 tabs as beginning of each line, my
personal pref is 2 spaces (and no tabs)

Posted by Timothy Spann <ts...@hortonworks.com>.
That makes a lot of sense.

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
(a) +1 for sure.

STREAMS-348: Create coding guidelines document for website
STREAMS-349: Maven plugin that can validate all classes have a sensible javadoc header
STREAMS-350: Bring codebase into compliance with requirement for sensible javadoc headers.

(b) +1 I think.

I agree with minimizing, but think where we draw the boundary and how broadly we purge it may warrant more discussion.

Let’s start by getting it out of:
streams-util
streams-config
streams-core
streams-pojo
streams-pojo-extensions
streams-schemas/*
streams-verbs

STREAMS-441: Remove compile dependency on guava for core packages

If it can be stripped out of streams-components/* and streams-contrib/* that’s good but I don’t see as much of a problem with some of those modules using it as needed where it’s truly useful.

Steve