Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/03 03:35:16 UTC

Re: Roadmap for next major versions

Thanks Darryl,
I'll be working on getting the WKWebView plugin up to snuff this week (read
the comment thread in your doc).
1. Review and resolve all existing PRs
2. Integrate the WKWebView plugin into the cordova-ios repo
3. Turn on WKWebView support via a feature flag (eventually this will be
the default)

I think no. 3 is a good way for interim testing versus having long-lived
branches that might get out of sync. I don't think this will get into the
same situation like `browserify` feature flag that was forgotten, since we
intend to bake this in for sure.

[CDVWebViewEngineProtocol support](
https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/blob/master/CordovaLib/Classes/Public/CDVWebViewEngineProtocol.h)
so we can swap in any webview engine will remain unchanged.

Posted by Niklas Merz <ni...@rhoen.de>.
I think this PR
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-inappbrowser/pull/271 should
basically do what needs to be done to support both webviews. I haven´t
tested this version yet, but it looks like Dave has done a great job
for supporting WKwebview alongside UIWebview.

The main issues we had in our app with WKwebview were CORS, the lack
of cookie sharing and frame bridge/WKScriptMessageHandler bridge.

Some discussion around IAB and WKwebview was taking place in this
issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-7179.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Niklas,

Posted by Niklas Merz <ni...@rhoen.de>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Darryl Pogue <dv...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Shazron!

Regarding point 3 on your list, does that need to be a feature flag
since the WebView engine is already controlled via a preference in
config.xml? People should be able to opt-in that way just by adding a
preference, and then in a future release we just change the default
value for that preference, correct?

From the Apple side, it sounds like they're very heavily encouraging