Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org> on 2005/06/22 21:40:48 UTC

[mp2 patch] RPM friendly build

Here is a suggested patch to add rpm building bits to our build process.

Basically, this patch achieves 2 things.

1. It makes sure that distribution tarballs contains a mod_perl.spec file
   so anybody can just do:
 $> wget http://perl.apache.org/dist/mod_perl.2.x.tar.gz
 $> rpmbuild -ta mod_perl.2.x.tar.gz

And they'll have nice RPMs for whatever RPM-based distro they run

2. It adds the 'rpm' make target, so that developers can quickly publish RPMs
   if they want (basically does make dist && rpmbuild -ta like above) :

 $> perl Makefile.PL
 [...]
 $> make rpm
 perl build/make_rpm_spec
 perl -Ilib "-MModPerl::Manifest=mkmanifest" -e mkmanifest
 [...]
 rm -rf mod_perl-2.0.2-dev
 gzip -9f mod_perl-2.0.2-dev.tar
 rpmbuild -ta [...] mod_perl-2.0.2-dev.tar.gz
 [...]
 $> ls rpm/
 mod_perl-2.0.2-192962.i386.rpm
 mod_perl-2.0.2-192962.src.rpm
 mod_perl-debuginfo-2.0.2-192962.i386.rpm
 mod_perl-devel-2.0.2-192962.i386.rpm

The bulk of the RPM spec file was grabbed from Fedora's

Re: [mp2 patch] RPM friendly build

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 12:40 -0700, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>>2. It adds the 'rpm' make target, so that developers can quickly publish RPMs
>>   if they want (basically does make dist && rpmbuild -ta like above) :
>
> That's great!  That would mean we can tell people who insist on using
> RPMs to build an RPM for the latest release when their distro is lagging
> behind.  Very nice.

That was the problem I was trying to solve, exactly!

Also means it would much easier for us to provide RPMs for the common distros
ourselves, instead of pointing foolks to 3rd party RPM providers that might not
be in sync either.

Re: [mp2 patch] RPM friendly build

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 12:40 -0700, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> 2. It adds the 'rpm' make target, so that developers can quickly publish RPMs
>    if they want (basically does make dist && rpmbuild -ta like above) :

That's great!  That would mean we can tell people who insist on using
RPMs to build an RPM for the latest release when their distro is lagging
behind.  Very nice.

- Perrin