Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org> on 2019/07/03 12:26:36 UTC

Polling members (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program)

splitting this off to keep Myrle's thread on topic

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 13:49, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> We have the technology (via STeVe) to have a non-binding poll the
> membership.  We will have an election coming up in March-ish 2020.
> The decision to fund interns from ASF funds is a binary one.
>
> My sense is that the board has been asked to make a difficult
> decision, and is not ready yet to do so.  We however have a path
> forward that will give us more data, and we can put in place a plan to
> poll the membership for guidance on the matter.  We can ask those that
> wish to do so to prepare a position paper (one each, pro and con) that
> can guide the membership in casting their votes.

this sounds like a good idea to me

I wouldn't' necessarily set March as the deadline. as a committee, we might
not feel ready to make that move at that point. depends what our experience
is like with Outreachy and what sorts of results we can show

but in general, this seems like a reasonable way forward, should the
committee decide that we want to pursue this avenue once again with a bit
more experience under our belt

Re: Polling members (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program)

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.
apologies for the follow-up email. I pressed send too early

Kevin said:

"Sorry but I am -1000.  This is a very bad idea."

that to me is the antithesis of "yes, and..."

I was trying to pull the idea back by putting it into context and setting
some things straight

so, in context, even more strange, that I'm the one you pick on (with words
like "very aggressive", to boot!)

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 7/3/2019 8:26 AM, Naomi S wrote:
> splitting this off to keep Myrle's thread on topic
+1 way too much thread hijacking.  Please follow Naomi's example and
fork the threads.
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 13:49, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> We have the technology (via STeVe) to have a non-binding poll the
>> membership.  We will have an election coming up in March-ish 2020.
>> The decision to fund interns from ASF funds is a binary one.
>>
>> My sense is that the board has been asked to make a difficult
>> decision, and is not ready yet to do so.  We however have a path
>> forward that will give us more data, and we can put in place a plan to
>> poll the membership for guidance on the matter.  We can ask those that
>> wish to do so to prepare a position paper (one each, pro and con) that
>> can guide the membership in casting their votes.
>>
> this sounds like a good idea to me
>
> I wouldn't' necessarily set March as the deadline. as a committee, we might
> not feel ready to make that move at that point. depends what our experience
> is like with Outreachy and what sorts of results we can show
>
> but in general, this seems like a reasonable way forward, should the
> committee decide that we want to pursue this avenue once again with a bit
> more experience under our belt

Sorry but I am -1000.  This is a very bad idea.  Off the cuff, here are
some of my negatives:

- It sets up the precedence that every hard decision will wait a year
for a member referendum

- It insults the sitting board that they can't make a tough decision.

- It infers the need to circumvent a possible negative board decisions
and instead go to the members to "overrule" them either retro- or
proactively.

- In the lawyer world there is a quote, never ask a question you don't
know the answer to.  This is a massive gamble.

- I predict this particular topic of effectively paying for code will
create partisan divisions with our members who are likely to vehemently
disagree/agree

But that said, I agree this would be a great question to add to the
voluntary board candidate questionnaire for next year.

Regards,

KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation

Re: Polling members (Was: Re: [DISCUSS] Notify the board that D&I intends to coordinate an Outreachy intern program)

Posted by Andrew Musselman <ak...@apache.org>.
To everyone:

Do y'all just wake up and decide "I'm going to spend my free time today
bickering on a public mailing list?"

Does this feel like an inclusive list with these kinds of interaction?

Posted by Naomi S <no...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.
Personally, I think that this is way out of D&I's bally-wick. Why is this a D&I issue? What is this obsession on this policy which affects D&I not-a-whit yet directly impacts every project PMC and this foundation to the core? What do some members of the cmmt feel the need to focus on this singular issue in exclusion to everything else?

I am sorry you don't like this policy... but some policies exist, and should exist, whether you like them or not. I really wish that some people on this cmmt would focus on the mission and charter of this effort. This cmmt should work on directly helping those that this cmmt is empowered to help, instead of using this cmmt to try to change a policy that bothers them personally (I also wonder *WHY* it bothers them personally).

Why some people have chosen this to be a hill to stake this cmmt's energies and reputation on is beyond me. In a cmmt which is all about Inclusion, this clear desire to create venomous division within the membership, and even this cmmt, is mind boggling. What is the fascination w/ this scorched Earth process? Is this really how this cmmt intends to handle the delicate business of changing hearts and minds? If so, I suggest that they rethink it.

PS: Also recall that it is up to the BOARD on whether or not to bring such a change up for consideration by the members. Of course, you are perfectly w/i your rights as a member to petition that.

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
+1

---

Sent from my phone, likely while waking down the stars and having a conversation. Sorry about my carelessness, I blame the machines.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sage Sharp <sh...@otter.technology>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.