Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Scott Aron Bloom <sc...@towel42.com> on 2015/05/07 03:07:35 UTC

bug or a feature :)

So I noticed something..

We use svn:externals quite a bit, using the format
-r 1234 ^/externals/XXXX lcldr

And it works just fine, we never moved to the "new" format of ^/externals/XXXX@1234

However, recently, we found that in restructuring one of our externals directory, which caused XXXX to go away, svn up fails, saying it cant find the external.  However switching to the @1234 format it works fine.

Is this a known issue?

Scott

Re: bug or a feature :)

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Scott Aron Bloom <sc...@towel42.com> wrote:
> So I noticed something..
>

> We use svn:externals quite a bit, using the format
>
> -r 1234 ^/externals/XXXX lcldr
>

> And it works just fine, we never moved to the “new” format of
> ^/externals/XXXX@1234
>

> However, recently, we found that in restructuring one of our externals
> directory, which caused XXXX to go away, svn up fails, saying it cant find
> the external.  However switching to the @1234 format it works fine.
>

> Is this a known issue?

It is not an issue - they just mean different things - see 'peg
revisions' in the documentation.    path@rev means go back to the
revision, find what was at the path.  -r rev path means look at the
path in the head revision, and back up to the specified revision
number in that object's history.   If there have been deletions/moves
they may be different things.  Usually path@rev is what you expect.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com