Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/02/08 20:38:17 UTC

[VOTE] HCatalog to Graduate and become part of Apache Hive

Apache HCatalog entered incubation in March of 2011.  In the process it has added five new committers and two new PPMC members and made 3 successful releases.

The Hive PMC has voted to accept HCatalog as a part of Hive.  The vote thread for this is at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-dev/201301.mbox/%3cCACf6RrzktBYD0suZxn3Pfv8XkR=vgwszRZyB_2qVeSuj2vhaVg@mail.gmail.com%3e

The HCatalog PPMC has voted to accept this invitation.  The vote thread for that is at:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-hcatalog-dev/201302.mbox/%3cD6CC6C77-9E4F-48F6-B49F-A7E378889274@hortonworks.com%3e

additional votes for this can be found at:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201302.mbox/%3c3F7D9868-7D0D-4C08-831A-FF4735394E12@hortonworks.com%3e

and

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-dev/201302.mbox/%3c3F7D9868-7D0D-4C08-831A-FF4735394E12@hortonworks.com%3e

(these are threads I forwarded to dev@hive and general@incubator as an FYI but people got confused and voted on the wrong thread).

We have already received +1s from the following IPMC members on the previous threads:

Arun Murthy
Owen O'Malley
Alex Karasulu
Jakob Homan
Alan Gates

Please cast your vote.  The vote will remain open until 12 PST Feb 11.

Alan.

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] HCatalog to Graduate and become part of Apache Hive

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thanks for the clarification, Roy.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Almost want them to change to lazy consensus, bc you laying smack
down is full of win.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Alan,

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I added a summary, please correct as needed, since I should button the
report up tomorrow.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Benson,

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
It has always seemed to me that graduation votes are just
recommendations from the incubator to the board. Only the board can
establish a TLP.

In this case, the vote is even less important. The HCatalog gang
proposed to merge into Hive. Hive proposes to give them a less than
warm welcome by some standards. The Hive and HCatalog communities can
cooperate to put the code in the HCatalog tree, and them the Hive
people had best plan to report to the board, promptly. And if the
board is not happy with this not-first-class-citizenship plan, the
board will communicate that to Hive and work out the next steps in the
context of Hive.

If the Hive PMC wants to ask the board in advance if their scheme is
OK, I suppose they can.

All in all, there's not much for the IPMC to say here. There's no
board resolution needed for a podling to contribute itself into an
existing TLP. So long as HCatalog's IP is in good shape, we don't have
much to do with this outcome.

In short, HCatalog is a podling until it isn't. The vote gives
information to the two communities and the board, and we'll wind up
the podling when and if we hear that it's in fact merged into Hive or
has become a TLP.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
On Feb 12, 2013, at 8:54 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> I wonder: would the Hive community be willing to take an active role
> in supervising the work of the hcatalog people with an eye toward
> reaching the conclusion that they could be accepted as committers en
> bloc?

How are you proposing this would work?  With HCat as part of Hive or still in the Incubator?

Alan.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

<ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> ...I'm -1 on this graduation...

-1 from me as well, I agree with Chris' points.

This looks either like an umbrella project (which we don't want
anymore) or a PMC not trusting its committers.

IMO the options are either graduating Hive as a TLP (assuming the
podling is in good standing for that to happen), or having Hive adopt
the HCatalog code *and its committers*.

In the second case, no need for a change of bylaws - if those new
folks are committers, they can just be told to avoid touching code
that they don't master (*), and the goal should be to make them PMC
members as soon as possible, so that in the end HCatalog is just a
module of Hive, with no artificial PMC split.

-Bertrand

(*) like any committer - and a PMC can always suspend or revoke
committership in the unlikely case where that doesn't work.

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] HCatalog to Graduate and become part of Apache Hive

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> I'm brought to this thread byt he board report but my response here is as
> an IPMC member. My comment on the board report is quite different, it is
> "I've read the thread on general@ and feel that the IPMC should make a
> clear recommendation to the board in this and similar cases. The IPMC
> discussion seems to be healthy and productive."
>
> So, as a an IPMC member I have a few open questions [inline]...
>

> On 11 February 2013 18:20, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>

> Also, it has been agreed that each HCatalog committer will be provided with
>> a mentor from the Hive community to help him/her learn the rest of Hive,
>> with the goal of becoming a committer on Hive within six months.  The
>> submodule state is transitionary, not an end point.
>>

> Why was this"mentoring" not done as part of the incubation process since
> building the right community structure for graduation (along with IP
> clearance) is the main role of the incubation process? Was Hive the
> sponsoring project for this proposal? If not why not?

Ross, my suspicion (and I haven't done the digging here on vacation)
is that HCatalog started incubation with the intention of becoming a
TLP, so their original sponsor was the incubator itself. The idea of
merging into Hive came up late in the process. So the Hive people had
no warning or reason to be part of the supervision.

Thus, your email seems to me to pose this question: "Should the IPMC
seal of approval be good enough for an existing TLP to grant committer
status?" I don't see why that should be. Projects have their own
culture and conventions, and if Hive was not participating in the
incubation process, why should those conventions be part of the
HCatalog incubation?

This brings me to my other obsessional point here. If the plan, from
the start, had been to import code to Hive, there would have been no
need for the IPMC to do anything except IP clearance. Hive could have
'incubated' via the usual mechanism of accepting patches. The notion
of 'incubate sponsored by project X' makes sense to me if the eventual
trajectory is some sort of autonomous subproject, and not otherwise.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Thanks again Alan.

The fact that there appears to be no members of the Hive PMC active in the
incubator would seem to be the root cause of the need for further
mentoring/incubation post graduation.

Ross

On 23 Feb 2013 17:07, "Alan Gates" <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> I think that's a question for the Hive PMC.  I have some guesses, but it
seemd more appropriate to let them speak for themselves.  For some history
you can take a look at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-dev/201211.mbox/%3CC648B9DE-2088-465E-8FA1-590D5E192093%40hortonworks.com%3Ewhich
is the initial discussion between HCat and Hive.  AFAIK none of the
Hive PMC are on the IPMC, so you may need to mail private@hive or
dev@hiveto get their feedback.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
FYI, at this point based on Benson and Roy's feedback I have been considering this vote closed and passed.  We're moving forward with the details of merging the two, which will include winding down the incubator project.  Mail has been sent to dev@hive and hcatalog-dev to propose the details of the path forward.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Thanks Alan,

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
-0 on graduation into Hive.

>From the [DISCUSS] thread: http://s.apache.org/as9 , this sounds like
a compromise with members of the Hive PMC who see HCatalog as "a set
of wrapper APIs that make Hive's metastore and serdes accessible to
Pig and MR", so they question whether members of that community can
discharge the responsibilities of Hive committers (reviewing patches,
etc.). Others claim it's unfair to existing Hive contributors to
extend committership based on group membership rather than the
criteria they've applied to individuals. Is that a fair summary?

It's a delicate thing to merge communities, but if the Hive PMC is
unwilling to share authority with the HCatalog developers, then Hive
is voting to take a dependency on HCatalog in exchange for control
over its development. Those bylaws are a prenup, granting existing
Hive developers privilege over the assets of both parties. Maybe the
HCatalog community prefers this to its other options, but it's an odd
arrangement.

If the HCatalog code is core to Hive and a significant delta, then I
agree with ChrisM: merge the projects or don't. If the code a
community produces is good enough to adopt, then why subject members
of that community to this audit? Why endure the meddling from outside
the project over unorthodox bylaws? Is this an avoidable waste of
energy?

Which is not to say that Hive devs don't have good, even technical
reasons for adding these protections. Adding all those people will
make the project different, and different could be worse. But allowing
passion for the project's integrity to trump an honest accounting of
its membership invites a permanent discussion that will embitter
everyone. It's clear this is a carefully negotiated, trial merge of
the projects, so it's fair to assume all parties know what's in their
interest, but I hope the costs are fully appreciated as they move
forward. -C

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Alan,

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
On Feb 8, 2013, at 9:03 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> I'm -1 on this graduation for the following reasons:
>
> 1. It looks eerily similar to the creation of umbrella projects. I would
> expect the ASF board to not be happy with the graduation of a podling as
> effectively a sub project of an established TLP, with the sub project
> status maintained through a rather lengthy set of bylaws that after trying
> to read through for about 5 mins I decided to stop. TL;DR

Our goal is not to repeat the umbrella project situation that happened with Hadoop.  The goal is to give the Hive community time to get to know the HCatalog committers and time for the HCatalog community to learn about Hive beyond the metadata portions they have been working with.  To avoid the umbrella project status the by laws specifically prohibit creating new committers with access only to HCatalog.  Also, it has been agreed that each HCatalog committer will be provided with a mentor from the Hive community to help him/her learn the rest of Hive, with the goal of becoming a committer on Hive within six months.  The submodule state is transitionary, not an end point.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Alan,

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
No.  See the thread of the Hive vote at http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hive-dev/201301.mbox/%3cCACf6RrzktBYD0suZxn3Pfv8XkR=vgwszRZyB_2qVeSuj2vhaVg@mail.gmail.com%3e for a discussion of how the teams will be merged.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Dear Alan,