Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/09 10:18:23 UTC

Announcement: OpenTSDB has been released

Hi fellow HBase users,
I hope you don't mind if I make a quick announcement somewhat related
to HBase, as OpenTSDB was finally released today!

OpenTSDB is a distributed, scalable Time Series Database (TSDB)
written on top of HBase. OpenTSDB was written to address a common
need: store, index and serve metrics collected from computer systems
(network gear, operating systems, applications) at a large scale, and
make this data easily accessible and graphable.

Thanks to HBase's scalability, OpenTSDB allows you to collect many
thousands of metrics from thousands of hosts and applications, at a
high rate (every few seconds). OpenTSDB will never delete or
downsample data and can easily store billions of data points. As a
matter of fact, at StumbleUpon we use it to keep track of hundred of
thousands of time series and we collect over 100 million data points
per day in our main production cluster.

If you use HBase then presumably you have a bunch of machines and you
need to monitor them somehow.  OpenTSDB can help you store
fine-grained data about your machines and your applications.  At
StumbleUpon, we also use OpenTSDB to keep track of HBase metrics (from
GC activity to request rate or region count per region server, latency
distributions across the board for all RPCs sent from our site to
HBase, that kinda stuff).  This allows us to understand the
performance of our clusters, think about capacity planning and other
things like that.

I think OpenTSDB shows that it is possible to build reliable,
scalable, distributed applications on top of HBase.  When HBase
replication and coprocessors are "production ready", HBase is really
going to provide a platform with a lot of the key features that will
enable engineers to easily write "Google scale" applications.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure
Software Engineer @ www.StumbleUpon.com

Re: Announcement: OpenTSDB has been released

Posted by Suhail Ahmed <su...@gmail.com>.
Huse check it out here http://opentsdb.net/getting-started.html

Posted by tarjei <ta...@nu.no>.