Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/11 17:34:18 UTC

Artifact names

Hi,

I'm hitting a bit of a snag with the staging repository for release 0.9.7.
Recently we made changes to remove -project from our the zip file names. The
problem is that the maven install and deploy goals ignore the names we
provide and generate their own names (
openjpa-project-0.9.7-incubating-xxx.zip).

turns out this is a fairly common problem - usually resulting in a response
of "working as designed".  Here's an example
http://www.nabble.com/Installation-and-deployment-tf1449780s177.html#a3916784

Does anyone vehemently object to putting -project back into the names for
the 0.9.7 release?

The only other way I know of to fix the names that get deployed would be to
change the artifactId in the pom files (basically switch openjpa with
openjpa-project). Switching the names will impact anyone who has a
dependency on the base openjpa project. They'll have to update the version
number anyway, but it will still be a little confusing if they used to
depend on openjpa-0.9.6 and now they depend on openjpa-project-0.9.7.

-Michael Dick

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
I've been overriding the deployment location for the staging directory. I
thought I made the changes back to trunk, but I must have missed it, I just
added it back in.

The changes configure the deploy plugin to look for a
deploy.altRepositoryvariable, if it's found we'll deploy to that
location.

The variable can be added in ${M2_HOME}/settings.xml like this :
  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>release</id>
      <properties>          <deploy.altRepository>
people.apache.org::default::scp://people.apache.org/home/mikedd/public_html/staging-repository
</deploy.altRepository>
      </properties>
    </profile>
</profiles>

Run mvn -Prelease deploy and watch for scp and it will deploy to the
alternate location. If you just do the build from a subproject it should
work (haven't tried it though).

--
-Michael Dick

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Marc,

After you have built the artifacts that are not in fact maven
artifacts, you should be able to simply copy them to the staging
repository on your local people.a.o directory and thence to their
dist/ directory for publication to the world.

Craig

On Apr 25, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know if there is a way to override the
> <repository> part of the <distributionManagement> section of the
> pom.xml? If we were able to do that, we could keep the individual
> jar artifacts deployed to the http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-
> snapshot-repository/org/apache/openjpa/ (so people can reference
> the individual artifacts as usual), but upload the artifacts from
> the openjpa-project sub-pom to a separate location?
>

> On Apr 25, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> +1 to all that.
>>
>> What JDO does is publish the non-maven artifacts to the dist/db
>> directory (JDO is a db sub-project) and there is a script that
>> allows us to use the mirrors to let folks get the binary or source
>> download. And we publish the maven artifacts so that a user can
>> just write a pom and five lines of code later maven will download
>> the dependency tree. Sweet.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On Apr 25, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Eddie O'Neil wrote:
>>
>>>  While in incubation, the best place for non-Maven downloads is
>>> here:
>>>
>>>    http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/
>>>
>>>  Once out of incubation, the right place is here:
>>>
>>>    http://www.apache.org/dist/
>>>
>>> which ties an artifact into the mirroring system.  Then, there's a
>>> particular way to format the project's download page in order to
>>> list
>>> all of the mirrors as download options for that artifact a la:
>>>
>>>    http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi
>>>
>>> Eddie

Craig Russell

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Apr 25, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know if there is a way to override the
> <repository> part of the <distributionManagement> section of the
> pom.xml? If we were able to do that, we could keep the individual
> jar artifacts deployed to the http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-
> snapshot-repository/org/apache/openjpa/ (so people can reference
> the individual artifacts as usual), but upload the artifacts from
> the openjpa-project sub-pom to a separate location?
>

> On Apr 25, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> +1 to all that.
>>
>> What JDO does is publish the non-maven artifacts to the dist/db
>> directory (JDO is a db sub-project) and there is a script that
>> allows us to use the mirrors to let folks get the binary or source
>> download. And we publish the maven artifacts so that a user can
>> just write a pom and five lines of code later maven will download
>> the dependency tree. Sweet.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On Apr 25, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Eddie O'Neil wrote:
>>
>>>  While in incubation, the best place for non-Maven downloads is
>>> here:
>>>
>>>    http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/
>>>
>>>  Once out of incubation, the right place is here:
>>>
>>>    http://www.apache.org/dist/
>>>
>>> which ties an artifact into the mirroring system.  Then, there's a
>>> particular way to format the project's download page in order to
>>> list
>>> all of the mirrors as download options for that artifact a la:
>>>
>>>    http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi
>>>
>>> Eddie

Craig Russell

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1 to all that.

What JDO does is publish the non-maven artifacts to the dist/db
directory (JDO is a db sub-project) and there is a script that allows
us to use the mirrors to let folks get the binary or source download.
And we publish the maven artifacts so that a user can just write a
pom and five lines of code later maven will download the dependency
tree. Sweet.

Craig

On Apr 25, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Eddie O'Neil wrote:

>  While in incubation, the best place for non-Maven downloads is here:
>
>    http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/
>
>  Once out of incubation, the right place is here:
>
>    http://www.apache.org/dist/
>
> which ties an artifact into the mirroring system.  Then, there's a
> particular way to format the project's download page in order to list
> all of the mirrors as download options for that artifact a la:
>
>    http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi
>
> Eddie
>

> On 4/25/07, Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/24/07, Phill Moran <pj...@rogers.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't think you want the tarball in maven. Personally I would
>> not look
>> > for it
>> > there or go searching my local repo to open and get examples,
>> docs etc.
>> > Can we
>> > keep the tarball on OpenJPA and the minimal compile an execution
>> jar on
>> > Maven.
>> > Keep in mind that this jar is replicated on maven, corp repo
>> then local
>> > repo - a
>> > lot of wasted space if not absolutely necessary.
>> >
>> > Phill
>>

>> I agree, if we put the tarball in a different location then we
>> should remove
>> it from the maven repository at the same time. It shouldn't be too
>> tricky to
>> separate the tarball generation from the normal build processing
>> (in which
>> case maven won't deploy the tarball).
>>
>> Assuming this is the right way to go, where would be put the tarball?

Craig Russell

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 4/24/07, Phill Moran <pj...@rogers.com> wrote:

> I don't think you want the tarball in maven. Personally I would not look
> for it
> there or go searching my local repo to open and get examples, docs etc.
> Can we
> keep the tarball on OpenJPA and the minimal compile an execution jar on
> Maven.
> Keep in mind that this jar is replicated on maven, corp repo then local
> repo - a
> lot of wasted space if not absolutely necessary.
>
> Phill

I agree, if we put the tarball in a different location then we should remove
it from the maven repository at the same time. It shouldn't be too tricky to
separate the tarball generation from the normal build processing (in which
case maven won't deploy the tarball).

Assuming this is the right way to go, where would be put the tarball?

> >   Personally, I think both are valuable as they serve different needs
> > for different development environments.
>
> I agree completely. Just wondering if we should be publishing the tarball
> via
> mvn.

-Patrick

--
-Michael Dick

RE: Artifact names

RE: Artifact names

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
>   Personally, I think both are valuable as they serve
> different needs for different development environments.

I agree completely. Just wondering if we should be publishing the
tarball via mvn.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.
by email and then delete it.

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.

RE: Artifact names

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.
Hmm. Maybe we should think about this for when we move out of
integration.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
BEA Systems, Inc.

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.

RE: Artifact names

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.

RE: Artifact names

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com>.

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.

--
-Michael Dick

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
You're right, if / when we bypass the deploy phase and execute scp (or
something similar) ourselves then it'll be easy to put in the renaming
logic.

Thanks Patrick and Marc,

On 4/11/07, Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org> wrote:

> Michael-
>
> I personally think that keeping "-project-" in the artifact zip name
> is tolerable. I too had looked around (albeit briefly) for a solution
> to this a while ago, and found none.
>
> Once OpenJPA is out of incubation and we are deploying releases to
> the Apache mirror system, we'll probably need to put in some more
> deployment-oriented logic that doesn't use the "deploy" phase, so at
> that time we might be able to put in some renaming logic.
>
> +1 for tolerating the artifact name "openjpa-project-0.9.7-
> incubating.zip".
>

> On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Michael Dick wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm hitting a bit of a snag with the staging repository for release
> > 0.9.7.
> > Recently we made changes to remove -project from our the zip file
> > names. The
> > problem is that the maven install and deploy goals ignore the names we
> > provide and generate their own names (
> > openjpa-project-0.9.7-incubating-xxx.zip).

> > and it
> > turns out this is a fairly common problem - usually resulting in a
> > response
> > of "working as designed".  Here's an example
> > http://www.nabble.com/Installation-and-deployment-
> > tf1449780s177.html#a3916784
> >
> > Does anyone vehemently object to putting -project back into the
> > names for
> > the 0.9.7 release?
> >
> > The only other way I know of to fix the names that get deployed
> > would be to
> > change the artifactId in the pom files (basically switch openjpa with
> > openjpa-project). Switching the names will impact anyone who has a
> > dependency on the base openjpa project. They'll have to update the
> > version
> > number anyway, but it will still be a little confusing if they used to
> > depend on openjpa-0.9.6 and now they depend on openjpa-project-0.9.7.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > -Michael Dick
>
> --
-Michael Dick

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Michael-

Re: Artifact names

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 4/11/07, Patrick Linskey <pl...@bea.com> wrote:

> > Does anyone vehemently object to putting -project back into
> > the names for
> > the 0.9.7 release?
>
> I don't vehemently object for the 0.9.7 release, but I do vehemently
> object for the 1.0 release. I don't like these random bugs / limitations
> of our build process making their way into the project artifacts.

I agree, I don't think I can resolve it cleanly in a timely manner for
0.9.7but I don't think they should be permanent additions.

> > archives and it
> > turns out this is a fairly common problem - usually resulting
> > in a response
> > of "working as designed".  Here's an example
> > http://www.nabble.com/Installation-and-deployment-tf1449780s17
> > 7.html#a3916784
>
> Any chance that we can convince the people involved that while it may be
> working as designed, it's a common difficulty?

I'll try. I suspect their argument will be that using the artifactId
guarantees uniqueness in the repository. I think that having the artifactId
in the path is unique enough.

As a last resort we could bite the bullet and switch the artifactIds. It's
not particularly friendly but it wouldn't be the end of the world to make
the change on a major release boundary (hopefully when we leave the
incubator).

-Patrick

--
-Michael Dick