Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> on 2009/04/30 04:18:14 UTC

sa-update and trusted_networks

...I thought 127/8 was in trusted networks by default with 3.2.mumble?

# sa-update -D
[27722] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.2.5
[27722] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is recommended
that you configure trusted_networks manually

Or is trusted_networks even relevant to sa-update?

   The real opiate of the masses isn't religion; it's the belief that
   somewhere there is a benefit that can be delivered without a
   corresponding cost.                       -- Tom of "Radio Free NJ"
  9 days until the 64th anniversary of VE day

Re: sa-update and trusted_networks

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Matt Kettler wrote:

> An errant trusted_networks isn't going to hurt sa-update, and is
> probably a cosmetic bug.

That's what I thought, I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

   Gun Control enables genocide while doing little to reduce crime.
  8 days until the 64th anniversary of VE day

Re: sa-update and trusted_networks

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
John Hardin wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> John Hardin wrote:
>>> ...I thought 127/8 was in trusted networks by default with 3.2.mumble?
>>>
>>> # sa-update -D
>>> [27722] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.2.5
>>> [27722] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is
>>> recommended that you configure trusted_networks manually
>>
>> If nothing is declared at all, the auto-guesser is engaged. 127/8 is
>> trusted, and working back in time from the most recent host, all
>> unroutable (ie: RFC reserved) IPs are trusted, and the first routable IP
>> is assumed to be your MX and is trusted.
>>
>> If you declare something manually, 127/8 is assumed in addition to what
>> you specify.
>
> Okay.
>
> That error is odd, because I have my MTA public address still defined,
> I just had removed 127/8 from the list.
It's possible that sa-update bypasses that part of the initialization.

If you don't get the same message out of spamassassin -D, I'd ignore it.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Matt Kettler wrote:

> John Hardin wrote:
>> ...I thought 127/8 was in trusted networks by default with 3.2.mumble?
>>
>> # sa-update -D
>> [27722] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.2.5
>> [27722] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is
>> recommended that you configure trusted_networks manually
>
> If nothing is declared at all, the auto-guesser is engaged. 127/8 is
> trusted, and working back in time from the most recent host, all
> unroutable (ie: RFC reserved) IPs are trusted, and the first routable IP
> is assumed to be your MX and is trusted.
>
> If you declare something manually, 127/8 is assumed in addition to what
> you specify.

Okay.

That error is odd, because I have my MTA public address still defined, I
just had removed 127/8 from the list.

>> Or is trusted_networks even relevant to sa-update?
>
> It's 100% irrelevant to sa-update.

Thought so.

> It is relevant to lots of rules in SA's mail scanning.

Yeah, I know that... :)

   Gun Control is marketed to the public using the appealing delusion
   that violent criminals will obey the law.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
John Hardin wrote:
> ...I thought 127/8 was in trusted networks by default with 3.2.mumble?
>
> # sa-update -D
> [27722] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.2.5
> [27722] dbg: conf: trusted_networks are not configured; it is
> recommended that you configure trusted_networks manually
If nothing is declared at all, the auto-guesser is engaged. 127/8 is
trusted, and working back in time from the most recent host, all
unroutable (ie: RFC reserved) IPs are trusted, and the first routable IP
is assumed to be your MX and is trusted.

If you declare something manually, 127/8 is assumed in addition to what
you specify.

> Or is trusted_networks even relevant to sa-update?

It's 100% irrelevant to sa-update. It is relevant to lots of rules in
SA's mail scanning.