Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Patricia Williams <Pa...@ethics.state.tx.us> on 2012/11/07 00:01:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Do I need to reinstall if the manufacturer ships in /var/www and I need /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www?

I have a brand new shipped RHEL 6.2 with apache 2.2.15.  Seems it is installed in /var/www.  I am trying to replicate a server running with apache in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www (although I do find a /var/www over there as well).   I'm new at installing apache, and it has been a few years since I used linux.  Should I first unistall httpd and then install httpd 2.2.23 (found at the apache download page)?  Is there a getting started guide with step by step instructions?
Will the php modules (5.3.3-3.el6_1.3.x86_64) found on my installation disk be ok to install with 2.2.23?
Thanks,
Patty

Programmer
Computer Services Division
Texas Ethics Commission
201 E 14th St, 10th floor
Austin, TX  78701
512-463-5800

Re: [users@httpd] Do I need to reinstall if the manufacturer ships in /var/www and I need /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www?

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Patricia,
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Patricia Williams <
> Patricia.Williams@ethics.state.tx.us> wrote:
>
>>  I have a brand new shipped RHEL 6.2 with apache 2.2.15.  Seems it is
>> installed in /var/www.  I am trying to replicate a server running with
>> apache in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www (although I do find a /var/www over
>> there as well).   I'm new at installing apache, and it has been a few years
>> since I used linux.  Should I first unistall httpd and then install httpd
>> 2.2.23 (found at the apache download page)?  Is there a getting started
>> guide with step by step instructions?
>> Will the php modules (5.3.3-3.el6_1.3.x86_64) found on my installation
>> disk be ok to install with 2.2.23?
>> Thanks,
>> Patty
>>

> As far as I know you can only get the apache source not the binaries for
> your Linux distribution. This means you need to compile and install apache
> your and during the process you can choose new install directory for it
> lets say /usr/local/apache2. In this way you don't need to uninstall the
> RHEL default apache install but you MUST make sure both servers never start
> or run together. Meaning you need to stop the RHEL apache (if running) and
> remove it from all startup scripts. In that way you can run the 2.2.23
> without any issues of port clashing.
>
> In post install process of configuring 2.2.23 you can also choose to run
> the server on some other port than 80(443). In that case you can have both
> servers running, the RHEL and 2.2.23 if you like. So the answer is you can
> have as many installs of apache as you like until you configure them to run
> (or not) on different ports.
>
> Regarding PHP ... This should be post install task related to 2.2.23
> install, meaning there apache directives that you can use to point to the
> PHP install you want to use. Meaning that similar as with apache itself you
> can have multiple PHP installs as well, lets say php4, php5.3.3 and
> php5.3.6, and tell apache to use which ever version you (your applications)
> need.
>
> So I guess the answer of the php question about 5.3.3 is it should be fine
> from apache point of view if your apps are fine with it.
>

>>  Programmer
>> Computer Services Division
>> Texas Ethics Commission
>> 201 E 14th St, 10th floor
>> Austin, TX  78701
>> 512-463-5800

If you decide to go with 2.2.23 install from source I would recommend you
make your self familiar with the process. Some useful links:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/programs/configure.html

Hope it helps.

Re: [users@httpd] Do I need to reinstall if the manufacturer ships in /var/www and I need /usr/local/apache/htdocs/www?