Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gd...@macromedia.com> on 2002/05/23 03:12:02 UTC

[VOTE] Steve Loughran for committer

I hereby nominate Steve Loughran as an axis committer.

Right now Axis' committer list is made up of a bunch of people who don't work on Axis anymore, and some people who do which are mostly (though not all) from IBM and Macromedia.  When this project started it had a very vibrant developer community from all over the place, full of varied people thinking and coding together.  I'd like to get that vibrancy kick-started again, and one way to do so is to encourage participation, especially from people outside MACR/IBM.

Steve has shown some good motivation in working on what is certainly one of my big pet peeves about Axis, the build process.  His patch is dandy, and his ideas are good.  If he's psyched to continue working on this and other areas of the project, I say we give him the keys so he can drive it himself.

I'll start with:

+1

--Glen

Re: [VOTE] Steve Loughran for committer

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> I hereby nominate Steve Loughran as an axis committer.

wow, I am honoured

> Right now Axis' committer list is made up of a bunch of people who
> don't work on Axis anymore, and some people who do which are mostly
> (though not all) from IBM and Macromedia. When this project started it
> had a very vibrant developer community from all over the place, full of
> varied people thinking and coding together. I'd like to get that
> vibrancy kick-started again, and one way to do so is to encourage
>participation, especially from people outside MACR/IBM.

I am all in favour of diversity. You should know that I actually work at HP,
currently doing production side web services stuff, i.e. a consumer of
technology; it gives you an interesting perspective:

http://www.iseran.com/Steve/papers/when_web_services_go_bad.html

...nowadays I am looking at embedded web services; you need to think about
long term interop if you are going to stick your server in flash somewhere.

> Steve has shown some good motivation in working on what is certainly
>one of my big pet peeves about Axis, the build process. His patch is
>dandy, and his ideas are good. If he's psyched to continue working on
>this and other areas of the project, I say we give him the keys so he
>can drive it himself.

It would certainly make it easier to fix these things; as long as you
understand that it will be a very intermittent priority item. What with a)
committer status on ant, b) co-authorship on a book on ant reaching delivery
milestones this weekend, c) behind schedule on my cycle training and Alpine
mountaineering for this season.

As an ant-dev person, messy builds niggle me, but big complex projects also
provide the dog-food to really get ant to scale. Likewise, fixing up the ant
task to work right is something I know how to do. All the other stuff is,
well, not my area of expertise right now, though I like the idea of fixing
interop with .NET better, even if it means C# tests and helper classes.

Also, 0800 to 0900 PST IRC? I'll have to read the archives ; attendance is
optional there, right.

-Steve