Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2006/08/27 18:44:58 UTC

[policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Hi,

It looks like people objected to creating another mailing list for
policy so I just used [policy] as Robert did in a previous message.

Henri has setup Maven repositories for the incubator and there is a
document which is an attempt to describe the current setup here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html

I think that everyone agrees that a separate repository for
incubating projects is a good idea as

1) you can clearly see what incubator artifacts have been created
2) we can perform analysis and create reports for incubator artifacts
easily (using Archiva, the maven repository manager)
3) separating the administration duties of the incubator repository
is a good idea I think. This might involve a different instance of
Archiva and/or different people looking after the respective
repositories

I haven't looked at all the projects using Maven in the incubator but
cxf, the one I'm most involved with, looks like its settling on
versions like:

2.0-incubator-SNAPSHOT

So the repository is clearly separated, and from a dependency element
in a Maven POM you can clearly see it's an incubator version.

There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
the central repository but I don't really see much point in this. A
few folks with incubating projects have voiced concerns that they
don't want to see their projects be taken out of circulation in the
central repository because they are incubating. If each and every
incubating project has a version for each artifact like that above
then it will be fairly clear that it's from the incubator. Moreso
then if you just had a repository definition pointing at the
incubator repository.

Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing the
sync to Maven's central repository.

Thoughts?

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org

Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes, general list and majority of binding votes AFAIK.  please start
another thread with a set of well defined choices to vote on.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jason,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jason,

Is it rocket science to add a new repo location in pom.xml? *Any*
maven newbie learns *very* quickly how to add a new repo. Are you
stating that *IF* the artifacts are not in the central repo they won't
find it and won't know how to use it? The least anyone will need to
know is the artifact id and version id and they find this when they
browse a project's pages, are you stating that a user will never look
at anyone's web site or download area and will *ONLY* look at ibiblio
repo and decide to use a project? If they do indeed look, isn't it

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Yes, and I feel that Jason is addressing the issues brought up
previously. As Jason stated, and I reiterated in my message to Justin,
the incubator policy doesn't really affect the ibiblio distribution
policy, so I see those as in conflict right now. So I want to know on
what grounds the incubator can prevent me from requesting that some
incubating jars from being uploaded to ibiblio.

- Dan

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> I guess, you need to read more emails on this list :) For example see [1]
>
> thanks,
> dims
>
> [1]
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=115440663222532&w=2
>

> On 8/30/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
>> Why?
>>
>> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>> > If it comes to a VOTE, i'd vote -1 on automatic syncing of incubator
>> > artifacts to maven central repo.
>> >
>> > -- dims

>> incubating

>> artifacts
>> repository is

>> incubator but

>> element

>> sync'd to
>> Moreso then

>> mandated
>> business
>> interests
>> sync'd to
>> be any
>> really
>> repository.

>> --
>> Dan Diephouse
>> Envoi Solutions
>> http://envoisolutions.com
>> http://netzooid.com/blog

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions
http://envoisolutions.com
http://netzooid.com/blog

Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=115440663222532&w=2

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Why?

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> [...]
>> > then it will be fairly clear that it's from the incubator. Moreso then
>> > if you just had a repository definition pointing at the incubator
>> > repository.
>> >
>> > Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
>> > artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy mandated
>> > here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute artifacts
>> > created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into the business
>> > of policing repository requests. I think it is in the best interests
>> > of the  incubating projects to have the incubator repository sync'd to
>> > Maven's central repository. The source of artifacts for incubating
>> > projects is clear from the version so I don't think there will be any
>> > confusion by consumers of these artifacts and as such I don't really
>> > see any downside to allowing the sync to Maven's central repository.

Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions
http://envoisolutions.com
http://netzooid.com/blog

Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
>> Well it can be run around right now too. I as a user of an incubating
>> project can request that a jar be uploaded to ibiblio. The incubator and
>> ibiblio policies are distinct. Unless the incubator can enforce policy
>> on the Ibiblio/Maven project for them to police the artifacts, they can
>> currently be redistributed on Ibiblio, it is just an extra pain for me
>> as a user.
>
> As I understand it, the ibiblio repository is under the de facto
> control of the Maven PMC.  So, if the policy was that only project
> owners can upload the JARs, that would be respected.  -- justin
I don't believe thats the current policy. Some projects don't care about
maven, so users need to take things into their own hands.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 10:41:05AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> wrote:
> >Well it can be run around right now too. I as a user of an incubating
> >project can request that a jar be uploaded to ibiblio. The incubator and
> >ibiblio policies are distinct. Unless the incubator can enforce policy
> >on the Ibiblio/Maven project for them to police the artifacts, they can
> >currently be redistributed on Ibiblio, it is just an extra pain for me
> >as a user.

<silly>And a naughty little user you would be. Stop running around and be
nice now. Shoosh! Shoosh!</silly>

> As I understand it, the ibiblio repository is under the de facto
> control of the Maven PMC.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-ibiblio-upload.html

The instructions for getting stuff up there are on the apache maven
site. They basically come down to a set of technical instructions for
how to interface with the jira hosted at codehaus. The relevant
jira projects are adminned by Jason van Zyl, Carlos Sanchez seems to
be processing the vast majority of the requests, with Brett Porter
chipping in every now and then.

So, yes, that seems a fair assessment.

However, ibiblio does sync automatically sync with various repositories
*not* under the control (codehaus, jetty, opensymphony, os java) of the
maven PMC, so control is shared with other open source groups.

> So, if the policy was that only project
> owners can upload the JARs, that would be respected.  -- justin

The written policy is only about the technical steps needed. In practice,
it seems the repo administrators do do *some* kind of quality control. For
example, if a user uploads new jars for - say- tomcat, he'll often get
told to work with the tomcat developers to just fix the main "pom" files
(which defines how jars are built, named, versioned, published, etc).

I doubt that if the incubator PMC would ask the maven PMC to apply a
patch to their technical policy which says "please do not request the
upload of jars from the apache incubator" they would refuse it, but I
suspect they may not want to be held responsible for enforcing it. The
ibiblio repo just isn't audited right now or held subject to similar
policies as the ASF /dist/ location. Eg they potentially would need to go
after opensymphony for putting incubator jars in their repositories, which
are synced to ibiblio. HenkP can share stories of exactly how much work all
that really is. Of course, the opensymphony folks are not going to do
something silly like that, so there's no *real* issue, just a potential
one.

If we do want that kind of auditing to happen, I suspect the dialogue
should go onto dev@maven or user(s)@maven so the people that do the repo
admin work are involved.

I know I gave up on this kind of agreed-on quality control for the ASF
releases a long time ago. Now I just try and make it policy that ibiblio is
not used for the projects I work on. *ducks*

LSD

Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like people objected to creating another mailing list for
> policy so I just used [policy] as Robert did in a previous message.
>
> Henri has setup Maven repositories for the incubator and there is a
> document which is an attempt to describe the current setup here:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html
>
> I think that everyone agrees that a separate repository for incubating
> projects is a good idea as
>
> 1) you can clearly see what incubator artifacts have been created
> 2) we can perform analysis and create reports for incubator artifacts
> easily (using Archiva, the maven repository manager)
> 3) separating the administration duties of the incubator repository is
> a good idea I think. This might involve a different instance of
> Archiva and/or different people looking after the respective repositories
>
> I haven't looked at all the projects using Maven in the incubator but
> cxf, the one I'm most involved with, looks like its settling on
> versions like:
>
> 2.0-incubator-SNAPSHOT
>
> So the repository is clearly separated, and from a dependency element
> in a Maven POM you can clearly see it's an incubator version.
>
> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
> the central repository but I don't really see much point in this. A
> few folks with incubating projects have voiced concerns that they
> don't want to see their projects be taken out of circulation in the
> central repository because they are incubating. If each and every
> incubating project has a version for each artifact like that above
> then it will be fairly clear that it's from the incubator. Moreso then
> if you just had a repository definition pointing at the incubator
> repository.
>
> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy mandated
> here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute artifacts
> created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into the business
> of policing repository requests. I think it is in the best interests
> of the  incubating projects to have the incubator repository sync'd to
> Maven's central repository. The source of artifacts for incubating
> projects is clear from the version so I don't think there will be any
> confusion by consumers of these artifacts and as such I don't really
> see any downside to allowing the sync to Maven's central repository.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jason van Zyl
> jason@maven.org

+1.

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Marc,

That's one of the flux items being discussed. I am not clear when
this is going to be resolved; hopefully shortly.

Craig

On Aug 27, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> [...]
>>> for each artifact like that above then it will be fairly clear
>>> that it's from the incubator. Moreso then if you just had a
>>> repository definition pointing at the incubator repository.
>>>
>>> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
>>> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
>>> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
>>> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get
>>> into the business of policing repository requests. I think it is
>>> in the best interests of the  incubating projects to have the
>>> incubator repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The
>>> source of artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the
>>> version so I don't think there will be any confusion by consumers
>>> of these artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to
>>> allowing the sync to Maven's central repository.

Craig Russell

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
Craig-

Fwd: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
FYI, policy is still a bit in flux...

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
> Date: August 27, 2006 9:44:58 AM PDT
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0
>
> Hi,
>
> It looks like people objected to creating another mailing list for
> policy so I just used [policy] as Robert did in a previous message.
>
> Henri has setup Maven repositories for the incubator and there is a
> document which is an attempt to describe the current setup here:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html
>
> I think that everyone agrees that a separate repository for
> incubating projects is a good idea as
>
> 1) you can clearly see what incubator artifacts have been created
> 2) we can perform analysis and create reports for incubator
> artifacts easily (using Archiva, the maven repository manager)
> 3) separating the administration duties of the incubator repository
> is a good idea I think. This might involve a different instance of
> Archiva and/or different people looking after the respective
> repositories
>
> I haven't looked at all the projects using Maven in the incubator
> but cxf, the one I'm most involved with, looks like its settling on
> versions like:
>
> 2.0-incubator-SNAPSHOT
>
> So the repository is clearly separated, and from a dependency
> element in a Maven POM you can clearly see it's an incubator version.
>
> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd
> to the central repository but I don't really see much point in
> this. A few folks with incubating projects have voiced concerns
> that they don't want to see their projects be taken out of
> circulation in the central repository because they are incubating.
> If each and every incubating project has a version for each
> artifact like that above then it will be fairly clear that it's
> from the incubator. Moreso then if you just had a repository
> definition pointing at the incubator repository.
>
> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
> the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
> best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
> repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
> artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
> don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
> artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing
> the sync to Maven's central repository.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jason van Zyl
> jason@maven.org

Craig Russell

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 31 August 2006 00:15, Dan Diephouse wrote:
> I don't really think that this is going to help anything. The user is
> always in control.  The responsibility has never left their hands. Lets
> step away from the incubator a sec and take GPL jars for instance - if
> there is a transitive dependency on GPL jars, the user is completely
> responsible for that.
> Why would it be any different for an incubator JAR?

The difference is that no Apache project has a transitive dependency on a
GPL'd project. The Apache PMC is responsible to ensure that no GPL code is
sneaking in via transitive dependencies, and an improved reporting facility
in Maven's release plugin would *really* be good, both for licensing and
other concerns.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [policy] incubating projects and maven repositories v1.0

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 27 Aug 06, at 10:26 PM 27 Aug 06, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Monday 28 August 2006 08:58, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Perhaps Maven can help by not allowing the transitive dependency on
>>> incubating projects? Just thinking out loud...
>>
>> If you can clearly see what you have in a report so I'm not sure we
>> would want to put any special rules in place to deal with artifacts
>> from incubator.
>
> Could that report be made part of the release:prepare and the
> release manager
> had to explicitly approve it??

How are we supposed to enforce that? And what if they are not using
Maven? Say using either the Maven Ant Tasks, or Ivy, or just an http
get to get artifacts from a repository.

> If so, then I'm totally cool with no other
> Maven adjustments to deal with incubating projects.

Generating the site is not part of a standard release, though it's
usually done as part of a release,  and I'm not sure how you're going
to enforce that for every possible project that might use something
from the incubator.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 28 August 2006 08:58, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > Perhaps Maven can help by not allowing the transitive dependency on
> > incubating projects? Just thinking out loud...
>
> If you can clearly see what you have in a report so I'm not sure we
> would want to put any special rules in place to deal with artifacts
> from incubator.

Could that report be made part of the release:prepare and the release manager
had to explicitly approve it?? If so, then I'm totally cool with no other

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 27 Aug 06, at 6:28 PM 27 Aug 06, Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 8/27/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>>> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be
>>> sync'd to
>>> the central repository but I don't really see much point in this.
>>> [...]
>>> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
>>> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
>>> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
>>> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
>>> the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
>>> best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
>>> repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
>>> artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
>>> don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
>>> artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing
>>> the
>>> sync to Maven's central repository.
>>
>> Me neither. But why do we then need the separate incubator repository
>> if the artifacts get synchronized with the central repository?
>>
>> As I mentioned in the thread before the Incubator Maven repository
>> was
>> created, it makes more sense to enforce an "incubator" label on the
>> artifact versions than enforcing a specific "incubator" repository.
>> Especially since there is no way for us to really enforce that
>> repository policy.
>
> I agree. I understand that we want users who choose to use an
> incubating project's artifacts to declaratively state that. If the
> artifact's name contains "incubating" then it's pretty clear.
>
> The only thing that muddles things for me is when using an m2
> repository that contains a non-incubating project with a dependency
> on an incubating project. Then, a project that depends on the
> project that is itself not in the incubator might not even know
> that it's using an incubating project.

The standard dependency report shows all transitive dependencies so
you can definitely see what you're using:

http://maven.apache.org/continuum/dependencies.html

Could be a little better in display but you can see what's in your
dependency set. There are also things like the netbeans m2
integration which draws nice graphs of the dependencies.

> Can this happen? Is it likely?

If you don't look at the dependency report or a graph then I suppose
it could.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Aug 27, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8/27/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
>> the central repository but I don't really see much point in this.
>> [...]
>> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
>> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
>> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
>> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
>> the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
>> best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
>> repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
>> artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
>> don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
>> artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing the
>> sync to Maven's central repository.
>
> Me neither. But why do we then need the separate incubator repository
> if the artifacts get synchronized with the central repository?
>
> As I mentioned in the thread before the Incubator Maven repository was
> created, it makes more sense to enforce an "incubator" label on the
> artifact versions than enforcing a specific "incubator" repository.
> Especially since there is no way for us to really enforce that
> repository policy.

I agree. I understand that we want users who choose to use an
incubating project's artifacts to declaratively state that. If the
artifact's name contains "incubating" then it's pretty clear.

The only thing that muddles things for me is when using an m2
repository that contains a non-incubating project with a dependency
on an incubating project. Then, a project that depends on the project
that is itself not in the incubator might not even know that it's
using an incubating project.

Can this happen? Is it likely? Is there any policy that we can put
into place to avoid that projects with dependencies on projects with
incubating projects accidentally have this dependency?

Perhaps Maven can help by not allowing the transitive dependency on
incubating projects? Just thinking out loud...

Craig

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Craig Russell

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 28 Aug 06, at 11:44 AM 28 Aug 06, Leo Simons wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 12:44:58PM -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> <snip/>
>> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
>> the central repository but I don't really see much point in this. A
>> few folks with incubating projects have voiced concerns that they
>> don't want to see their projects be taken out of circulation in the
>> central repository because they are incubating. If each and every
>> incubating project has a version for each artifact like that above
>> then it will be fairly clear that it's from the incubator. Moreso
>> then if you just had a repository definition pointing at the
>> incubator repository.
>>
>> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
>> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
>> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
>> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
>> the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
>> best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
>> repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
>> artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
>> don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
>> artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing the
>> sync to Maven's central repository.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> "central repository" is ibiblio.org right?

Correct.

> Eg not an ASF machine?

Correct.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 12:44:58PM -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
<snip/>
> There was discussion that incubator repository would not be sync'd to
> the central repository but I don't really see much point in this. A
> few folks with incubating projects have voiced concerns that they
> don't want to see their projects be taken out of circulation in the
> central repository because they are incubating. If each and every
> incubating project has a version for each artifact like that above
> then it will be fairly clear that it's from the incubator. Moreso
> then if you just had a repository definition pointing at the
> incubator repository.
>
> Also someone may make an repository request to place an incubator
> artifact in the central repository and at this point a policy
> mandated here would conflict with someone's right to redistribute
> artifacts created in the incubator. I don't really want to get into
> the business of policing repository requests. I think it is in the
> best interests of the  incubating projects to have the incubator
> repository sync'd to Maven's central repository. The source of
> artifacts for incubating projects is clear from the version so I
> don't think there will be any confusion by consumers of these
> artifacts and as such I don't really see any downside to allowing the
> sync to Maven's central repository.
>
> Thoughts?

"central repository" is ibiblio.org right? Eg not an ASF machine? I think