Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Michael Chang <mi...@tellapart.com> on 2014/04/15 10:41:09 UTC

Storm Topology Halts

user@storm.incubator.apache.orgHey all,

Issue:

We are having issues with stuck topologies.  When submitted and started,
our topology will start processing for a while, then completely halt for
around topology.max.spout.pending seconds, after which it seems that all
the in-flight tuples are failed.  This cycle will loop continuously.  Has
anybody seen this issue / have suggestions about how to debug?

Environment:

We are running a storm cluster in AWS, non-vpc.  We're running 0.9.1 but
using guava 16.0.1 and httpclient 4.3.1 in the lib path.  We were
originally trying this with the regular netty transport, and reverting back
to the zmq transport seemed to help at first, but now we're seeing the same
behavior as well, so it seems like a deeper rooted problem than just the
transport.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Re: 答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by Michael Chang <mi...@tellapart.com>.
Hey Oliver,

We're not seeing any errors in our logs after switching to the zmq
transport.  The reason we tried the zmq transport was several users on the
mailing list seemed to have had some success with switching to it after
seeing intermittent issues with netty.  We were seeing timeouts between
workers communication.  The reconnect errors looked like the ones
referenced here: http://pastebin.com/XXZBsEj1 (from
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-storm-user/201403.mbox/%3CCA%2BB%2BUZujQ7m_Y%2BZOv61hc7FK4EL3%3D%2B_6bpnnOK7quh-9ksN6tg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
)

Re: 答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by Oliver Hall <ol...@metabroadcast.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: 答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by Srinath C <sr...@gmail.com>.
My guess is that the issue could be in marking a tuple tree as complete. If
that does not happen within "topology.message.timeout.secs", that tuple
will be cleared from the acker's rotating map and marked as failure. The
bigger the tuple tree the more is the time the tuple has to wait to be
marked complete - until all bolts ack the tuple. By simplifying my
topology, my tuple tree is very much simplified (S->B1). As soon as B1 acks
the tuple, it is marked as complete.

Re: 答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by Michael Chang <mi...@tellapart.com>.
Hi Srinath,

Re: 答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by Srinath C <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: 答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by Michael Chang <mi...@tellapart.com>.
Hey Srinath,

Re: 答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by Srinath C <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: 答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by Michael Chang <mi...@tellapart.com>.
Hey 朱春来,

The processing time on the bolts seem reasonable, as does the overall
complete latency of the spout.

答复: Storm Topology Halts

Posted by 朱春来 <zh...@jd.com>.
Hi Michael Chang,