Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rs...@engelschall.com> on 2000/01/11 08:17:12 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES Configure

In article <20...@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
> jim         00/01/10 13:33:19
>
>   Modified:    .        STATUS
>                src      CHANGES Configure
>   Log:
>   Back out SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME=sl patch, thus
>   allowing HPUX builds to work again

Sorry, I still do not understand why using .sl for the shared core
breaks anything for the module building. The .sl is required for
SHARED_CORE and should not harm other stuff. What exactly does it break?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com

RE: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES Configure

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Keith Wannamaker wrote:

> |In article <20...@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
> | > jim         00/01/10 13:33:19
> | >
> | >   Modified:    .        STATUS
> | >                src      CHANGES Configure
> | >   Log:
> | >   Back out SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME=sl patch, thus
> | >   allowing HPUX builds to work again
> |
> | Sorry, I still do not understand why using .sl for the shared core
> | breaks anything for the module building. The .sl is required for
> | SHARED_CORE and should not harm other stuff. What exactly does it break?

The actual error messages are:

              -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o
modules/standard/libstandard.a  main/libmain.a  ./os/unix/libos.a
ap/libap.a regex/libregex.a lib/expat-lite/libexpat.a  -lm -lpthread
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   dir_module (data)
   action_module (data)
   status_module (data)
   negotiation_module (data)
   mime_module (data)
   cgi_module (data)
   includes_module (data)
   setenvif_module (data)
   config_log_module (data)
   userdir_module (data)
   autoindex_module (data)
   auth_module (data)
   alias_module (data)
   asis_module (data)
   imap_module (data)
   access_module (data)
   env_module (data)
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

Please note, you MUST have --enable-shared=foo for at least one module to
see this problem.  I had forgotten this earlier today, and spent an hour
trying to re-create this problem unsuccessfully.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd
RTP, NC 27709

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

RE: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES Configure

Posted by Keith Wannamaker <kr...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
|In article <20...@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
| > jim         00/01/10 13:33:19
| >
| >   Modified:    .        STATUS
| >                src      CHANGES Configure
| >   Log:
| >   Back out SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME=sl patch, thus
| >   allowing HPUX builds to work again
|
| Sorry, I still do not understand why using .sl for the shared core
| breaks anything for the module building. The .sl is required for
| SHARED_CORE and should not harm other stuff. What exactly does it break?

The .sl extensions breaks shared objects because
it causes the make process to set OBJS=(*.so) in
src/modules/standard/Makefile.

With SHLIB_SUFFIX_NAME=sl,
configure --enable-shared=max on HP yields this
src/modules/standard/Makefile snippet:

OBJS=mod_env.so mod_log_config.so mod_mime.so mod_negotiation.so
mod_status.so m
od_include.so mod_autoindex.so mod_dir.so mod_cgi.so mod_asis.so mod_imap.so
mod
_actions.so mod_userdir.so mod_alias.so mod_access.so mod_auth.so mod_so.o
mod_s
etenvif.so

Keith Wannamaker
IBM HTTP Server