Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org> on 2011/06/03 00:43:01 UTC

Solr and Python

As I was responding on this list to Yonik yesterday about how PyLucene
couldn't really make use of the HTTP side of the Lucene/Solr project (in the
"[VOTE] Lucene/Solr release 3.2 (take 2)" thread) I thought to myself
"someone, somewhere is going to do this, though".

Enter the montysolr project that embeds a CPython VM into Solr/Java VM !
    https://github.com/romanchyla/montysolr

This very much looks like something that could have been called PySolr,
PyLucene's pendant for Solr. Maybe these two projects should get merged as
well, especially since they use similar underlying techniques with JCC, but
in reverse: embedding a Python VM in Java VM [1]

   https://github.com/romanchyla/montysolr/blob/master/docs/technical-details.txt

Andi..

[1] This is a technique I had developed internally at Metaweb for
     freebase.com search (Lucene Core + Tomcat, no Solr) but thought was too
     crazy to put out in public. Not so apparently :-)

Re: Solr and Python

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2011, at 5:46, Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>
>> This looks very cool!
>>
>> A bidirectional JCC (embed Java VM in Python VM or vice versa) would be wild :)
>
> Why the conditional ?
> This has been built into JCC for over two years now and used in production for freebase.com search just as long.

Woops, I didn't realize JCC was fine with this, and that montysolr is
in fact using JCC -- nice!

> What's neat, is that Roman is making use of that technique for Solr now and is "showing the way" on how to merge Lucene and Solr for Python users as well, something I didn't think made sense until a few days ago. It's obvious, when you think of it. It just didn't occur to me.

+1 to somehow merge these two efforts, so we can have a PySolr too.

Mike

Re: Solr and Python

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>.

Re: Solr and Python