Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by neal <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/06 23:24:21 UTC

Tomcat standalone Versus Apache

What do most people run for production and why?  Tomcat standalone or Tomcat
with Apache? And for that matter, isn't the http server for Tomcat Apache -
or is it something else?

John Turner mentioned the possible concern with running Tomcat as root.  Are
there any other concerns?  Performance?  Security?

Thanks.
Neal

RE: Tomcat standalone Versus Apache

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Here is a benchmark test.  I don't know if it is generally reliable, but it
fits with experience I have had where they match up.

http://www.chamas.com/bench/index.html

On Resin, Tomcat and Apache.

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,

I saw the past few days' posts on resin vs tomcat, and tomcat vs apache.

I just went over to resin's site, and here's what they have to say:

"
Resin includes a full-featured HTTP/1.1 web server dedicated to serving fast
Java dynamic content. While Resin is tuned for dynamic content, its static file
performance matches or beats Apache's static performance. Many, if not most,
sites will use Resin's web server for all their web server requests.
"

But if you go over to "http://www.caucho.com/articles/jsp_benchmarks.xtp",
which is available as a link on the same page, you'll notice that they're
talking only about serving JSPs. And they use JDK 1.1.7, and they compare with
JServ, and not Tomcat.

I can't comment on JServ, since I'd used it for just day before I discovered
Tomcat.

I remember coming across a post by Craig (in either of Tomcat-user or
Tomcat-dev) that with today's JDKs reflection etc is very fast, and Tomcat by
itself is very fast.

For a web-solution that we gave to a bank, I built a app that contained
Embedded Tomcat 4.0.1, and the customers are satisfied with the performance.
And with the new Jasper and the whole lot of improvements that have been, I'd
say that Tomcat today is much more improved than what it was a year ago.

Sriram

RE: Tomcat standalone Versus Apache

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Keep in mind, neal, that the servlet created in the work directory is
really what is doing the work.  I don't know in these tests what some of
the configurations are either.  If they did not, for example, turn off the
"reloadable" attribute, then that would be really
unfair.  UNFAIR!  lol!  The jsp is only good the first time through, so
that you really are comparing html to servlets in a sense, not to jsp.

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, micael wrote:

> I did the comparison about a year ago, and things change.  I have no
> heard of a change in this regard.  That would be a huge,
> unprecedented change for Tomcat, and I have been following Tomcat
> daily.  I notice that no one disputed the suggestions I made, so I
> assume the tests are still at least roughly valid.  The issue is
> thousands versus hundreds, neal.

I wouldn't attribute much significance to the fact that no one has
disputed your comments, there are plenty of other possible
explanations for that.

> There are lots of benchmark studies.  Just look around.  It is not
> close, neal.  If you find something different, I would be really
> interested.
>
> Maybe your source meant that Tomcat and like servers can serve jsp
> almost like html.  That is not saying that Tomcat can serve jsp like
> Apache can serve html.
>
> I cannot think of a good reason to have Tomcat serve html off hand.

The thing is, that may not be the right way to look at it.  For
example, one can just as easily say "I cannot think of a good reason
to have Apache involved with serving dynamic content off hand".
Remember that just as there is a penalty for having Tomcat serve
static content, there is a penalty for having Apache involved with
dynamic content.  You have to look at the total picture.  If a site is
90% dynamic content, it may very well work out better going with
Tomcat standalone.  (I have no idea where the exact break-even point
lies.)

> You can cache anything.  The question is whether there is an
> efficient way to make that useful to do.  Why do it when Apache is
> there?
>
> Do you have some reason why you don't want to use Apache?
[ ... ]

Not using Apache improves performance on dynamic content (well,
servlets/JSPs), and makes setup/configuration much simpler.

I'm not saying Tomcat standalone is always the way to go, I'm just
saying that I can imagine situations where it is.

> At 03:22 PM 9/7/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >By static content, you mean HTML files probably, right?
> >
> >I read recently that thanks to the recently advanced JIT compilers that a
> >typical JSP can be served nearly s quickly as a standard HTML file.  That
> >said, should Apache serving HTML really be "way, way, way faster" than
> >Tomcat sreving JSPs?  And why/how might this be different than Tomcat
> >serving HTML?
> >
> >Perhaps this (that JSPs are almost as fast as HTML now) was said in general
> >but doesn't apply to all app servers?
> >
> >Do you know of any benchmarks on this or can anyone quantify just how much
> >faster Apache is or shed some light on why?
> >
> >Oh and btw, does anyone know if its possible to cache page output via
> >Tomcat?  This also might increase performance on static content.  Perhaps
> >this affects that Tomcat/Apache performance gap?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Neal

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu

RE: Tomcat standalone Versus Apache

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Posted by Randy Secrist <to...@secristfamily.com>.
You can search the web until your blue - but the truth is - this is really
new territory.  I say it mostly depends on your needs.  There is nothing
foolish about running tomcat standalone.  I've set up a few small companies
using TC standalone only.  Servlets DO handle multiple requests pretty
well - depending on their implementation - which you can research since the
source is available.  :)

The issue of running the process as user x - more or less is a security
issue.  As such, because it deals with a process running on an operating
system, it becomes an operating system security issue.  Granted - if TC's
security is breached, then it is probably more likely that if you run as
root, an intruder could do more damage than a regular generic user could...
BUT - that is IF security is breached.  TC is pretty solid - in that it
lives under the java security umbrella, with it's own security manager, and
thus protects from the standard issues that plague M$ software.  This
doesn't mean it is bug free though - people find stuff all the time - but
the finding in beta testing helps protect it when it goes to release.
Running TC as another user can add complexity to the configuration - since
you have to make sure that the specified user can access resources that the
web server may need.

Hope that helps...
Randy

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, neal wrote:

> Alright,
>
> So there's no taboo here that I'm not aware of. It sounds like a lot
> of people do run Tomcat with Apache but not all and its simply a
> matter of what fits my needs best.  So, there are no silver bullet
> issues (other than posibly this roon daemon thing) which suggests
> running Tomcat standalone in production is foolish, right?

As I tried to suggest in an earlier reply, I don't think you can draw
many definitive conclusions from polling this list on this topic.  You
seem to be looking for a definitive answer on this question, I'm just
don't think it's so easy to come by.  All you're getting are the
thoughts of a handful of semi-knowledgable people.

I suggest you do some more searching to see what other
comments/perspectives you can find on using Tomcat standalone.  For
example, I went to groups.google.com and entered "tomcat standalone
production" and got "about 61" matches.  You can look through those
and see what people say (I haven't yet).  And/or you can try some
other searches, there or elsewhere.

And you can try it yourself for a while.  Set up Tomcat standalone and
see how it performs.  Try to throw some twists at
it functionality-wise and see how it does.  Try to simulate your
expected load, and see if the response/performance is acceptable.
This is somewhat pioneer territory you're exploring.

Regarding the running as root issue (I assume that's what you meant by
"roon daemon"), that may or may not be an issue depending on your
circumstances.  You can either run Tomcat on port 80 as root, or run
it on a non-default (for http) port, like 8080, as a safer user.
There are tradeoffs either way (I'd personally shy away from running
it as root -- no specific reason I can point to, just general
principles -- unless you expect to have a lot of users behind
proxies/firewalls who wold have trouble reaching non-default ports).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu

RE: Tomcat standalone Versus Apache

AW: Tomcat standalone Versus Apache

Posted by "Power-Netz (Schwarz)" <sc...@power-netz.de>.
> What do most people run for production and why?  Tomcat
> standalone or Tomcat
> with Apache? And for that matter, isn't the http server for
> Tomcat Apache -
> or is it something else?

For help in your decision :

we run our tc standalone because nearly every page handles dynamic content.
just the layout is bases on static files which are included. In case of
using perl we create a new process and let it work for itself.
So WE have no need for Apache. OTHERS may have it while mixing PERL/PHP/JSP
together.

Make clear what you wanne do, and there will be someone with an equal webapp
who can help you..

cu M.Schwarz