Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Roman Rytov <rr...@entopia.com> on 2003/03/12 16:47:51 UTC

[OT] File-based persistence framework is needed

We need to use file-based persistence instead of DB and very basic
operations are in demand: reading/writing/searching/listing and
transaction support is a must.
I wonder if someone knows whether a framework like this already exists.

_______________________
Roman Rytov
server team leader

Omarim 9, 94965 Omer, ISRAEL
Tel.: 9728-646-63-50 ext. 224
Cel.: 9725-888-90-10
corp. email: rrytov@entopia.com
priv. email: roman@rytov.com
www.entopia.com <outbind://9/www.entopia.com>

Re: [OT] File-based persistence framework is needed

Posted by Todd Jonker <tv...@pobox.com>.
On 3/12/03 10:47 AM, rrytov@entopia.com wrote:

> We need to use file-based persistence instead of DB and very basic
> operations are in demand: reading/writing/searching/listing and
> transaction support is a must.
> I wonder if someone knows whether a framework like this already exists.

I haven't tried it, but the Object Prevalence concept looks quite promising
and may suit your needs.

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/03/1220222&mode=thread&t
id=156

Object Prevalence: Get Rid of Your Database?
ProgrammingPosted by Hemos on Monday March 03, @08:45AM
from the throwing-it-out dept.
A reader writes:" Persistence for object-oriented systems is an
incredibly cumbersome task to deal with when building many kinds of
applications: mapping objects to tables, XML, flat files or use some
other non-OO way to represent data destroys encapsulation completely,
and is generally slow, both at development and at runtime. The Object
Prevalence concept, developed by the Prevayler team, and implemented
in Java, C#, Smalltalk, Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby and Delphi, can be a
great a solution to this mess. The concept is pretty simple: keep all
the objects in RAM and serialize the commands that change those
objects, optionally saving the whole system to disk every now and then
(late at night, for example). This architecture results in query
speeds that many people won't believe until they see for themselves:
some benchmarks point out that it's 9000 times faster than a
fully-cached-in-RAM Oracle database, for example. Good thing is: they
can see it for themselves. Here's an article about it, in case you
want to learn more."

--
                 War is NOT a necessity!

  http://UnitedForPeace.org/    http://MoveOn.org/