Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "PARINI, MARY KAY [AG/1000]" <ma...@monsanto.com> on 2008/01/09 21:42:35 UTC

Release plug-in fails to add/remove release-pom.xml in CVS

I'm trying to use the release plug-in on a very simple multi-module
project but the plug-in seems to be having problems adding/removing the
release-pom.xml file for parent to CVS.

My project structure looks like this (minus the source files)...

  sample/
      pom.xml
      sample-shared/
          pom.xml
      sample-web/
          pom.xml

The top-level pom.xml is a multi-module POM that builds both
sample-shared and sample-web.

When I run "mvn release:prepare" from the sample directory, the build
fails.  It says that it cannot commit the top-level release-pom.xml
because it hasn't been added to CVS.  According to the output it is
included in the add command and there was no error on the add
command...but it doesn't successfully get added to CVS.  What's strange
is that it correctly adds the sample-web/release-pom.xml and
sample-shared/release-pom.xml.  Here are the cvs commands as displayed
in the output....

	[INFO] Executing: cvs -z3 -f -d <cvs-root-info> -q add
release-pom.xml sample-shared/release-pom.xml sample-web/release-pom.xml
	[INFO] Executing: cvs -z3 -f -q commit -R -F <temp-file> pom.xml
release-pom.xml sample-shared/pom.xml sample-shared/release-pom.xml
sample-web/pom.xml sample-web/release-pom.xml

I don't receive an error on the "add", but I do receive the error when
it gets to the "commit":
	The cvs command failed.
	Command output:
	cvs commit: use `cvs add' to create an entry for release-pom.xml

The only work around I found was to do the following:
1. Run "mvn release:prepare".  An error is received on the commit
because the file wasn't added.
2. Manually add release-pom.xml to CVS.
3. Run "mvn release:prepare" again to resume where it left off.  It
succeeds in preparing the release.  However, the release-pom.xml does
not get successfully removed in CVS.
4. Manually remove release-pom.xml in CVS.

I'm using maven 2.0.8 with maven-release-plugin 2.0-beta-7 and
maven-scm-plugin 1.0.

Has anyone else run into this behavior?

Mary Kay Parini
Monsanto Company - Commercial Technical Services

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware". Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying this e-mail or any attachment.