Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Ed <ed...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/28 02:38:02 UTC

Target System load query tools

I'd like to add a query (maybe a web service call) to my j-meter test to
query various server health parameters between my normal http test requests.
I realize this will effect the test itself, but it would be usefull none the
less.

What are the most relevant target system perameters to look at when testing
a server with j-meter?
Also what tools or system commands are most relevent to execute on the
system under test? If I knew the best system commands to execute, I could
implement a web service to execute them myself.

I'm not a testing expert so any pointers to resources on this are
appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
--
Ed

Re: Target System load query tools

Posted by Andreas Krennmair <kr...@webdynamite.com>.
Ed schrieb:
> What are the most relevant target system perameters to look at when testing
> a server with j-meter?
> Also what tools or system commands are most relevent to execute on the
> system under test? If I knew the best system commands to execute, I could
> implement a web service to execute them myself.

What we do here is recording the load average (using the uptime command)
and the most important values of the vmstat command, both tagged with a
time stamp, one measurement of these values per second. We do this by
running a simple shell script, and it uses very little system resources.
We have a support script that we run after the load tests that takes
this recorded data apart and produces several different visualizations
of this, using gnuplot.

I don't know how good your shell scripting skills are, but these scripts
were implemented and tested in less than a day.

hth, ak