Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2014/06/07 22:20:20 UTC

Stepping back from trying to drive this effort

It has become painfully obvious over the last 6 months or more that I am
not the person to push this effort forward. I am tired of answering
queries about how to help and then never having people come back to the
list. I will continue to work on the introductory material as I have
time, but I no longer have the energy to continue to try and drive it
forward.

What we need is people with experience in technical writing to drive
this and to mentor new comers. I will continue to monitor the list and
set up accounts on the mwiki as needed. I think I may take a closer look
at trying to learn the process of writing the help files as I am seeing
more bugs posted concerning problems with them.

Regards
Keith

Re: Stepping back from trying to drive this effort

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Keith N. McKenna <keith.mckenna@comcast.net
> [...]

> it not being my fault. Sad but true it is the same in any large group;
> 20% of the people do 80% of the work.
> >>
> >> What we need is people with experience in technical writing to drive
> >> this and to mentor new comers.
> >
> > I have attended a meeting of the German LO community last weekend, with
> > very similar topic. There was the idea of "mentors" too.  On the meeting
> > there were consensus, that pointing a newcomer to some sites to read is
> > bad. The idea on the meeting has been, to have a set of starting tasks.
> > The mentor explores the skills of the newcomer. Then he suggest three
> > tasks to the newcomer, who chooses one. After some time the mentor
> > contacts the newcomer and ask about the progress.
> >
> I think that use of the Orientation Pages as a first point of contact is
> not a bad thing. It gives people a point of reference to see the very
> wide range of skills that can be used as part of the documentation team.
>  That said those pages alone cannot be all there is; there has to be
> people who are willing to actively work with newcomers and guide them
> through the process.
>
> > Such mentor does not need to have writing skills or be an expert in an
> > area himself, but he need to be a personal contact for novices.
> >
> > The current situation of working on documentation needs improvement. I
> > see e.g. the problem, that the process is currently not visible to the
> > community, and writers get no merit.
> >
> You are being charitable. Realistically there is no process today. The
> basic idea was to write relatively short structured and linked pieces
> that would build from general information applicable to all parts of the
> software to more detailed but still heavily linked sections for each
> component of the suite, using on status page to track the progress.
> I believe that there is the ability to get merit as part of the
> documentation process. This is the major area that I have worked in and
> my invitation to become a committer most likely came from that.
>
> >  I will continue to monitor the list and
> >> set up accounts on the mwiki as needed.
> >
> > It is good, that you will continue doing the administrative part.
> >
> I believe that documentation is a vital part of any software project.
> There needs to be people that can do those administrative tasks since in
> today's world self registration for things like the mwiki are just not
> possible.
>
> >  I think I may take a closer look
> >> at trying to learn the process of writing the help files as I am seeing
> >> more bugs posted concerning problems with them.
> >
> > I have already written some help texts, so I might be able to help in
> > technical problems if needed.
> >
> I appreciate the offer. Is there any documentation of the process beside
> the original PDF from Sun? That is pretty old in that it describes the
> need for OOo 1.5 minimum and describes the use of the old cvs system.
> Any pointers on the best way to set up an environment to do the work

I couldn't find any when I started looking into the inline help system. I
did more or less convert  the PDF to HTML (not the greatest conversion I
assure you)   to make things a bit easier to find --

 http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/online_help/

but the process is basically the same in svn or cvs. Lots to learn and
process about this.

More coming soon on the planning wiki...

> > Kind regards
> > Regina

MzK

"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me,
 an invincible summer."
                              -- Albert Camus

Re: Stepping back from trying to drive this effort

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Keith,

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrea,
Hi all,

> On 11/06/2014 Keith N. McKenna wrote:

[...]

>> Who knows, maybe our volunteers are more at ease with ODT files than the
> Wiki... there are many variations we can try to improve our documentation
> efforts, and if the current way is not working we are totally free to
> change our approach.

Screencasts could also be an other option for people who like to create
that kind of tutorials. After all, if they are published under Alv2.0,
their content can always be recovered in a written documentation by people
who are more "writers". That could also enlarge the possibilities of
participation in the doc project for people who are not especially
"writers". Having a raw material under ALv2.0 is important to make easier
after the creation of a written documentation. Just an idea

A+
--
gw

Re: Stepping back from trying to drive this effort

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 11/06/2014 Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> still more structure won't help. People become
>> respected in a field through mutual recognition. This is working well
>> for other OpenOffice fields, like localization and QA.
> In this case Andrea I feel that a little more structure may be just what
> is needed. In some ways documentation is a very different area

Note that by unnecessary structure I meant a formal structure. If you
feel like that a standardization of processes, and attribution of
responsibility, may help, this is absolutely OK.

Well, let's do an experiment: I will pick two pages from your list and
I'll assign them to the two volunteers we have in queue. If it helps,
you are welcome to take responsibility for welcoming volunteers, in this
way or in any other way.

Who knows, maybe our volunteers are more at ease with ODT files than the
Wiki... there are many variations we can try to improve our
documentation efforts, and if the current way is not working we are
totally free to change our approach.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Stepping back from trying to drive this effort

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>> I am more than willing to help but I am tired of beating my head against
>> walls.
>
> Well, volunteers come and go. Your messages had the effect to reactivate
> some people, fortunately!
>
>> We really do not have a documentation team at this point. What we appear
>> to have is a group of individuals doing there own thing on there own
>> schedule.
>
> This is not good, but still more structure won't help. People become
> respected in a field through mutual recognition. This is working well
> for other OpenOffice fields, like localization and QA.

In this case Andrea I feel that a little more structure may be just what
is needed. In some ways documentation is a very different area than
other OpenOffice fields. Most other fields have a fairly narrow scope.
Localization for instance is primarily translation. That in itself
defines the basic skills needed, that of an understanding of English, as
that is the primary language the code is written in, and a deep
knowledge of the grammar and vocabulary of the language you are
translating to.

Documentation on the other hand has a very broad scope. It covers
writing, editing, publishing, graphic arts, etc. This is it's strength
and also it's weakness. It is a strength in that it is an area that many
people who might not otherwise be able to contribute can do so. It is a
weakness in that at first glance it appears to be very hectic and
disorganized.

Though I believe that the level of structure the ODFAuthors has is a bit
of overkill for an Apache Project, what we have is clearly not doing the
job either. There has to be a middle ground that can be reached so that
we can produce quality documentation. The other alternative is one that
has been proposed before on the dev list; That we not do documentation
and let the greater Eco-system fill that role.

>> I sent out requests months ago for people to proofread pages
>> that I had made major revisions to and nobody replied and certainly
>> nobody looked at the pages.
>
> I can tell you why. You never sent links, just titles (at least, I
> remember noticing this in a few occasions). And probably people were
> left wondering where to find those pages. Maybe give it a try to
> welcoming new volunteers (or volunteers who become active again) with a
> link to a page to be reviewed, a specific one for each volunteer, and
> asking that they give feedback within a few days. We will surely get
> more work done (even though we can't vouch for quality of course), And
> then maybe someone will take up more ambitious tasks.

Not providing a link was clearly an oversight on my part and something
that I will rectify forthwith. That said the fact that over a month has
passed and there has not even been a reply saying "where can I find
this?" also speaks volumes.

> And thanks for all your efforts so far, I hope they can start paying off
> soon.

As do I. I would hate to see the project take the alternative of leaving
documentation to the Eco-system.

Regards
Keith

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 6/10/14, Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Regina Henschel wrote:
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> Keith N. McKenna schrieb:
>>> Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>> [..]
>>>>
>>> We really do not have a documentation team at this point. What we appear
>>> to have is a group of individuals doing there own thing on there own
>>> schedule.  I would venture a guess that there are between 50 - 100
>>> people
>>> subscribed to this list, but I can count on one hand the regular
>>> posters. I sent out requests months ago for people to proofread pages
>>> that I had made major revisions to and nobody replied and certainly
>>> nobody looked at the pages.
>>
>> I belong to those, who do not like to be bound to the strict structures
>> of ODFAuthors. But it is worth collecting ideas how to improve
>> documentation, find ways to integrate different practices, and give an
>> environment that pleases writers.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Regina
> I do not like strict structures either Regina and I believe we have to
> continue collecting ideas; however it is very difficult to collect ideas
> when when no one is contributing any to the mailing list.

Can we collect a list of such 1-timer volunteers, and do a Call to
Action with more solid tasks that they can start doing right away?

Maybe reviewing some of the newly created documentation or providing
feedback on some of the way the templates and styles are being
builted.

Opinion might be an easy enough task for them to get started before
moving into action.

Just a thought.

> I apologize for the tenor of the recent posts. They simply reflect my
> overall frustration with close to 2 years, possible more, of going round
> in circles on what I still believe is as an important contribution to
> the overall success of the project.
>
> Regards
> Keith

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: Stepping back from trying to drive this effort

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Keith,

Keith N. McKenna schrieb:
[..]

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Maybe we need a better design and structure the community. Some roles
> that people can own and know what to do. This is very counter-apache
> way but I think is also the reason why these efforts don't pick up
> since the roles are not that defined, mentoring is hard and also steps
> are not as apparent.

Alexandro I think you may be right, I just know that right now I do not
have the energy and the requisite skills in the nuts and bolts of
technical writing and publishing to try and drive that re-structuring. I
am more than willing to help but I am tired of beating my head against
walls.

> as a past contributor of ODFAuthors, I remember there was some energy
> put on the Structure and process and roadmap of the documentation team
> so we can prioritize the work and communicate the current status of
> the guides.

We really do not have a documentation team at this point. What we appear
to have is a group of individuals doing there own thing on there own
schedule. I would venture a guess that there are between 50 - 100 people
subscribed to this list, but I can count on one hand the regular
posters. I sent out requests months ago for people to proofread pages
that I had made major revisions to and nobody replied and certainly
nobody looked at the pages.

I truly hope that the effort can be revived and re-structured. Hopefully
after a hiatus I will feel more ready to to again take on the role of
Don Quixote and sally fourth.

Regards
Keith

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Stephenie Barrett wrote:
<snip>
> I am sorry I keep coming in and out of the discussion. I was working on
> a project full time the past few months and didn't have time to offer. I
> am able to help with the help files and other writing as needed. I am an
> experienced technical writer and would like to work on one of the bigger
> projects needed. I will touch base early next week to get started.

No apologies necessary Stephenie, we are all volunteers and most also
have full time jobs that limit the amount of time available to work
here. I look forward to hearing from you again early next week.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:42 PM, Dave <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the internal help files are especially vital and enormously
> contribute to the overall quality of a programme.

Yes, they are! I have been SLOWLY working toward being able to build inline
help content in its own sandbox with dmake only -- not using "build" -- but
have not finished this.  I think this might be the first step to get more
folks involved with the inline help since it could then be ported to its
own branch, etc.

Having anyone help with this would be great!

And, this needs a new thread/focus as well.

Posted by Dave <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephenie Barrett <wr...@live.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.